I am living in Korea at the moment and keen to ski in Japan over my winter break. I have been trying to sort out what are some of the best resorts in Japan, but am looking for some advice. What I have found looks like something called Niseko is quite good. Any comments?

Mr. Fonda

Your post sounds exactly like the one I left 2 months ago! I'm teaching English in Korea too, and I'm heading to Hakuba (Nagano prefecture) during the winter holiday. I've heard good about Happo One and Goryu 47 (is that right?). Check out this website thoroughly, there's heaps of info.

THanks for the advice...those of you who left some!

So, am I to believe that Niseko is not all that it is cracked up to be? Is it not deep, with farily small crowds?

That sounds good to me, over hyped or not....

So if not there, where is better?

Hello Peter.... good luck with the search. cool.gif

---------

To your point sava:

Quote:
I still think that the first time message should be displayed to people when they sign up.
We do try to bring that page to the attention of people who have signed up - recently also changing the welcome email message new users receive to point people in the direction of the thread.

(Unfortunately the reality is that many people simply do not read FAQs/user agreement pages).

Mr. Fonda its not that we dont want to help, but that we get 10 new posters a week posting the same niseko questions.

Niseko will see 20000 auzzies in jumping into the powder this year if you want to go then you better book now.

Are there other places yes 700 to be exact. tell us what you want to do. ie Do you want to check out Tokyo, Kyoto etc.

Do you want a jumping park?

So many things to think about.

The biggest ski towns are as follows

hakuba

or

yuzawa

zao

myoko

then

niseko

nozawa

The biggest united gelendes

niseko

nozawa

happone

All the above resorts average above 370 inches of snowfall per year.

Peter. Go to Hakuba. It will have everthing you need for every standard of slider. Easy to get to. Good accomadation options. Plenty of mountains and terrain. Niseko is getting a name for being tracked out early. So if you want to hang out with a bunch of Aussies go Niseko, otherwise try Hakuba. If you need any info in particular let me know.

Quote:
Originally posted by charlotte:
I thought it was just the southern part of SK that was not connected (ie Kumanoyu and Yokoteyama).... the rest basically is connected and skiable
Can you use the same pass for the different areas though? I know on the Yokoteyama side you have to buy different passes for each area...

Id like to ski Yakebitai - looks nice.