I have a pair of mitten shells with long forearms. They are simply thin tough shells, nothing more. Made by the brand that has a red woolly mammoth as a logo. Underneath them I wear natural wool knitted ortovox gloves that also have a long sleeve (past the wrist). This is a great combo but often it gets too hot. The knitted wool gloves are great for hiking in.

i wear mittens that have detachable polar fleece gloves inside.

sure it's hard to do stuff when yr wearing mittens, but what do you want to do, anyway? the only intricate work i ever attempted was digging coins outta my pockets for the vending machines, & even then everyone else had taken their gloves off.

mittens rock. i had to search like crazy to find some though, as everyone told me that mittens just aren't in fashion anymore. i didn't care about fashion, i was all for warmth.

(i ended up getting a --don't laugh-- roxy pair. i came all the way from australia just to buy a frickin surf brand? *sigh*)

Suppose it's horses-for-courses: if you feel the cold, go for mittens, otherwise go for the functionality of gloves. (ALWAYS get a pair with removable fleece inners - even get a second set of inners to replace the originals when they need a bath.)

Personally, I don't feel the cold, so always use the gloves.

http://www.snowcentral.com.au/control_site/shop/stubs/shop_stub_35.html

These are cheap buys and last a long time - bought another pair recently, and they were the same price as I paid seven years ago!

wrong link there Montoya (you cut and pasted the URL for this page!)

FWIW I wasa mitten man for long time, but gave up on them as it doesnt get that cold in Japan and gloves have superior dexterity. I would go with Gloves, if you have good circulation and good tolerance to the cold