Future rider in Habuka seeks trip planning advice

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies,

I'm offering you a free place to crash if you come to Korea.

I live in the small city of Masan, which is only 45 minutes away from Busan (the second biggest city in Korea) if you wanted to visit there.

If you were hoping to stay in Seoul, well I'm 4 and a half hours away from that.

Bottom line: my floor is always open to any guests, anytime.

And thanks to all who have offered boards they got lying around. I've never personally rented a shitty board, but I've seen heeps of other people riding shitty rental boards. Like I said before, as long as it doesn't have step-ins (and it's close enough to the right size for me), I'm cool.

Do any board shops in Hakuba carry Forum?

Question of the day: I have 2 maybe 3 kiing days in Hakuba. I'm a snowboarder who lives powder, tree trails, and a quick stint in the half-pipe. Which resort(s) should I check out? I heard only a small part of one of them is open to snowboarders.

47 is probably the most popular spot for boarders - & i think there's a park there, too. it's also nice as it's connected to goryu, which gives you a wide variety of terrain.

yanaba is a bit further away but everyone said it was the best park - i think there's not too many trails though, most people go there to practise on the rails etc.

happo is great but some people complained that it isn't steep enough?

the patrol can be pretty strict about going through the trees, if they catch you they'll take yr details & threaten to take yr pass if yr caught again.

anyone know from experience?

what type of riding? hm.. anything but i only started boarding last winter, after a few years of skiing. so i spent my days trying to get up to an acceptable level while most of my friends were kickin' ass through the trees.

i have big plans for this season though! (one of the reasons i'm living here in the country is to be close to the snow, & try to improve as much as possible before 2006)

wish me luck..

goryu in hakuba has night skiing, and the run is longer than nakiyama at happo. but i think the pass costs 2000yen?

it's nice but only one run, good if you want to practice on a long straight run (there's very little elevation). they had some little jumps at the start of the season but they got worn down by march.

yeah, i remember niseko's run is really long & windy, with fresh powder falling all night..

goryu was quite windy & the visibilty was almost zero some evenings..

but they did have free chocolate fondue on white day!