Haha point taken about Thunder Bay. Thanks for the help it's much appreciated. I put in a "special" request to be near the mountains and not in Tokyo with NOVA. Who knows if they will even take it into consideration. Thanks for the map Fattwins.

also try Yamagata, Aomori, Morioka

P.S as a English Teacher you will be doing morning skiing as you will be working at night.

I skied from 8:30 - 11:15 then worked 12-9. Good for fresh tracks but not so easy to get out of bed so early for a night person like me. Still, a few deep pow turns made work seem a less significant part of my day.

p.s If you live a bit further north than FT the snow for night skiing is the same as the day skiing - powdery.

Stags area is quite good you will be amazed by it. dont be afraid to ask him about it. I is one of the sort of lost places that is far away from everything else major in Japan. ie the big cities.

You can put in request when you get into nova. I figure that you will want to get the hell out of it in 3 monthes anyways. You can get more money at nova but it anyone without an iron coating.

cb is right about saving money I save a ton in the summer because I kayak. I dont pay for the highway or much of anything and live on 50000 yen a month for food and everything. It helps that I can save like that now cause come winter im all about getting to the mountains.

Toque you are in the blue area.

I dont think my lifestyle is that expensive FF. If at all possible Id love to be out in Nagano or Tohoku area myself. Slowly makin that transition \:\)

Steve W, one of my most favorite areas in Japan is up in Tohoku along the Sea of Japan coast. The area around Niigata, Yamagata, Akita, and Aormori is just beautiful and has amazing snow, excellent onsen, and sweet matsuri too. Further out to the big cities (if you dont mind that) with lots of nice nature. Im guessing, maybe Stag and co can help out, that theyre further out to Tokyo than Nagano would be so if you want easier access to partying Nags might be better.

Will they give you a choice or when will you find out your location?

Its not all that far down to Tokyo from Iwate.

6 hours drive can be done in a morning or a 2.5hr shinkansen. There are no real mountains to cross so its fairly straight and flat. There are a few people that shink up to hachimantai for weekends from Tokyo.

They said they were going to give me a choice of locations but in the end their priority is to fill empty spots. So I tend to think that I will be stuck in a big city. I like to party but I don't care how close I am to a big city, I'd rather go skiing and hit a few beers with ski friends. Thunder Bay is the biggest city I've ever lived in and it's only like 120 thousand hahaha and there's plenty enough partying here for me. Someone mentioned getting a car are they easy to find cheap?

just out of curiousity capt stag, where are you situated? sounds like iwate. if so, got any good suggestions for someone living in the sendai region? seems like yamagata zao is equally as far the areas in iwate. would you agree?

steve w, if they are going to put you in the city, make sure you ask to be IN the city, otherwise you will be put in a suberb and that sucks! it means that it will add at least another hour to any of your travel times when going any where(you will have to get in to the main station to leave) and it means that you will not be able to party in the city as the trains all shut down by 12. and taxis are very expensive.

Yep Im in Iwate, Not too far from Mizusawa which is about 1hr south of Morioka. I haven't really spent any time at Zao so I cant say how far it is or what it is like etc.. I went to Sumikawa Snow Park in spring which was pretty cool, but didnt look like it had much but park skiing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve W:
So I just had an interview with Nova and it looks like i won't be able to teach in Sapporo, they tell me they don't have any openings. So they said they would do their best to put me close to skiing. What are some cities in japan that are the closest to skiing or have a hill right in town? Niigata seems close but i'm not sure. thanks
You could try Yamagata. Zao is right on the edge of town and you can take a local bus. They have night skiing too. We had 14 metres of snow last winter, but don't mention "Tohoku" to anyone ;\)