• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fattwins

• mattlucas

• Yuki's Passion

• bushpig

lol.gif Had one today too, but it finished mercifully quickly thumbsup.gif

We have a heavy rain warning and flood warning out ion Hiroshima right now. If it keeps up tonight we may just get the day off school tomorrow! Woohoo!

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
Next clear day take you camera out and take a shot of it from where it stares at you best

had my camera today as a matter of fact, but unfortunately didn't have the zoom lens

kumapix_51.jpg

it's name is 大窓 (I think oo-mado) and it's 1900m & change.
the 2 sites that I saw with trip reports had the guys using that as an exit point. One guy went up murodo, climbed tateyama then a little behind tsurugi and then down oo-mado. the other site (that jdude i was talking about before) did 3 days touring staying at 2 huts. I will post the link to his route (but it's all in handwritten japanese).
The closest access point to it is called bamba-jima. Actually somebody went missing there in the last couple of days!

That's pretty cool Soub thumbsup.gif

I was asking earlier on the Tateyama thread if anyone has ever heard of people skiing/boarding Daisen in Tottori Prefecture. I'm gonna move the question over here. Here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

These 2 were taken in GW and had me drooling over the possibilities with more snow

Bushpig_20.jpg

and

Bushpig_19.jpg

Here is one of Daisen I took last year under a lot more snow towards the end of winter/early spring

Bushpig_18.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
kumapix_51.jpg

it's name is 大窓 (I think oo-mado) and it's 1900m & change.
the 2 sites that I saw with trip reports had the guys using that as an exit point. One guy went up murodo, climbed tateyama then a little behind tsurugi and then down oo-mado. the other site (that jdude i was talking about before) did 3 days touring staying at 2 huts. I will post the link to his route (but it's all in handwritten japanese).
The closest access point to it is called bamba-jima. Actually somebody went missing there in the last couple of days!
You're talking about the low chute coming out of the saddle on the left center side of the picture right?

Or are you talking about the tiny little couloir coming right off the summit?

hey i dont pack that heavy!

i could take out the softshell pants for sure thats a no brainer now, my fleece vest and one pair of gloves gloves. That leaves 3 pairs of gloves, a neck tube, 3 rolls of 3mm rope, neoprean mask, sleeping bag that doesnt pack well, matt, down jacket and pant, a tool kit, cup, skins, axe, crampons, avie kit, lamp and camera with extra bats. thats all i have or had.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
hey i dont pack that heavy!
i could take out the softshell pants for sure thats a no brainer now, my fleece vest and one pair of gloves gloves. That leaves 3 pairs of gloves, a neck tube, 3 rolls of 3mm rope, neoprean mask, sleeping bag that doesnt pack well, matt, down jacket and pant, a tool kit, cup, skins, axe, crampons, avie kit, lamp and camera with extra bats. thats all i have or had.
Well there is your problem
You're carrying an extra 80kg up there

1 pairs socks (I have 1 pair socks for skiing and 1 pair socks for sleeping)

3 pairs underwear (freeball it under the longjohns)

1 pillow

1 pair down booties (you had your running shoes)

1 metal cup replaced with plastic cup

1 pair winter gloves replaced with lightweight fleece gloves (I carry 1 pair leather gloves, 1 pair lightwieght fleece gloves, 1 pair heavy fleece gloves, 1 pair winter gloves)

Bivisack - My tent is proven waterproof. You didn't take it on our daytrips so it wasn't there for emergency use

Vest

Softshell pants

Down pants

Lighter sleeping bag

Get rid of locking steel carabiners and get aluminum ones. Or share out the safety gear

Avy kit and reushblock cord (Maybe get rid of. It's spring)

1 bottle of whiskey

Toque I was talking about the saddle. I had a quick look at a map last night. seems to be 4000meters from the parking lot to the top of the saddle. I think it's an 1100m elevation rise but that's mostly at the end. when you start out most of it is relatively flat as you walk up by the river. Seems to be a very exposed route as you walk up the tight valley. I guess that's why the people that did it just came down it after touring all the way from tateyama. it took one group 3 hours from the top of the saddle to get to the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
Toque I was talking about the saddle. I had a quick look at a map last night. seems to be 4000meters from the parking lot to the top of the saddle. I think it's an 1100m elevation rise but that's mostly at the end. when you start out most of it is relatively flat as you walk up by the river. Seems to be a very exposed route as you walk up the tight valley. I guess that's why the people that did it just came down it after touring all the way from tateyama. it took one group 3 hours from the top of the saddle to get to the parking lot.
Looks like a nice run but I don't think I'd devote an entire trip to getting it. Would be a good exit from the backside area of Tsurugi after a long golden week tour

pretty much would you said to take out is what i said i would take out, but the whiskey stays. i dont carry out the glassa bottle i use plastic.

the pillow i wanted to sleep well and i will but a blow up one. gloves i thought dan was buying me a pair of gloves but i didnt need the mother of all gloves. down pants ill keep some of us just dont create the same body heat. Since living in Kyoto my body changed and its hard for me to keep warm. When i lived in kamloops i didnt have that problem i was like you and hardly layered. ill keep my underwear its good for your health really but ill knock em down to 2 and free ball at night. socks if you didnt have a dry day you would have been in trouble and i dont like that, ill stay with 3. The runners sucked in the snow they were so cold and wet. considering that ill have the garmonts next year those points are mute. the sleeping bag might get changed if i can fit it into the budget as will a better sleeping pad. The rain cover saved my ass once but i would take it out of the mix if i camp near a place with a hut like karasawa has. I would keep it if the hut was not as good though. my avie kit ill take but ill remove the cord it wasnt needed at all. the cup was lighter than any plastic camping cup. the biners ill stay with the ones rated to a decent wieght limit as well. i hope to get gloves like dans and then maybe some park gloves with good grip, ill think about the leather though.

Rain Cover - Why do you need it if you have a water proof tent?

Only reason you needed it the first time was because the tent you were using leaked like it wasn't even there. If you have a reliable tent like we did there is no reason for it

Pillow - Use the sleeping bag stuffsack and fill it up with your ski jacket and pants.

Backpack - Buy a bigger one so that you don't have to strap things to the outside

Gloves - No need for gardening and park gloves. Just 1 light pair is good. Park gloves are really expensive for what they are. Go with the gardening ones.

Downpants - If you get cold then get into the sleeping bag. It you plan camp right you should be able to do everything (but#1&2) from the comfort of the sleeping bag. You can't use them while resting above a run because you'd have to take your boots off to get them on.