Hi i'm looking for patrolling work in Japan for next winter and was wondering if anyone had experiences or reccomendations as to getting a job, what it's like over there etc.

I am a snowboard patroller and have been for 3 season in oz but want to get over to japan. I have an average level of conversational japanese.

Thanks for any info or advice, Cheers G

gbanger

The closest ski slope to me has this page below.- for this season though.

http://www.hakubagoryu.com/ski/info/bosyu/

If you were interested, maybe not bad for you to contact them now for next season?

Not so many ski slope web sites have this kind of stuff, they just seem to have "inquiry" or "contact us" something like that for everything.

Yeah Goryu had a Kiwi patroller worrking there 2 seasons ago. He said that he'd worked at other resorts as well in Japan. He liked the job but had to deal with all the gaijin troublemakers like me \:D -he was a nice guy. Not sure about the money and benefits of patrol work in Japan.

Arai may be another place to check out-there's a guy Blair who posts regular stories on here about working on the mountain.

Patrollers actually get paid (!) in Japan, compared to the US and other countries where it is volunteer work.

Average hourly wage is about 900 yen. Each resort has differing policies about uniform, passes, etc.

Best of luck,

Quote:
Originally posted by dyna8800:
Patrollers actually get paid (!) in Japan, compared to the US and other countries where it is volunteer work.
Yah like FT said
But I'll add some
There is a huge network of vollenteer patrol in Canada. The CSPS (Canadian Ski Patrol System) are there to offer support to the Pro-Patrol that get paid to patrol. Even the small mountains have a few Propatrollers

I've been timing perfectly when the patrol go up, I go down under the lift (it's nice pow). They yell at me and make angry faces from their lift chair but I've got my system down. gbanger, as a potential patrol guy do you really care if we duck ropes or do you just want access to the hill and get paid for it?

sava, very clever! \:\)

NPM, Arai? NO, at Zao. It seems they have two patrol workers on duty and they don't have the common sense to travel up and down seperately so I time it just right to never meet on the slope.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Pro patroller in Canada make more than 900 yen an hour I can say that for sure.
not much more actually. sad but true. the infamous king charles (charlie locke, owner of resorts of the canadian rockies, which includes such resorts as Lake Louise and Fernie)is renown for telling his patrol in intro meetings that if they intend to make a living and career at this job then they might as well move to a different resort.
shows you how much they actually value the safety of their clientelle.

Kintaro,

where are you riding? Omori trees? they don't seem to care much about that.

i've been warned in a very subtle and unconfrontational way about riding off the peak into the paradise base. and at the same time they were putting up fencing all around my usual entrance point.

Yeah, thanks for the reply's guys. It's always classic how you can right a thread and it goes on a ride of it's own. I just want to patrol and the discretion that comes with patrolling is one of the things that appeals to me in the job. If people are ducking ropes i think it depends on what the consequences involved are as to whether or not you take it further. Same with speeding etc, what are the consequences and how does the person react to you having a word with them.

If someone is a tosser when you try and approach them then naturally the urge to give them the benifit of the doubt is squashed. I havn't skiied in Japan as yet but i'm sure thgere is a shitload of terrain from what i've seen on maps and potential for freshies all day without ducking ropes.

Whether it's a adam and eve apple deal or if people think it's cool to duck'em that's individual but it comes down to consequences and the personality test i reckon.

Hope to see you all over there i've got some leads on jobs so fingers crossed.

G happyglass.gif