I've just cut an 18 minute movie showing footage of myself and some mates skiing in Niseko this February.

The file, which is in DVD format, will be available next week.

Any ideas on how I can make it available online so members of this site can view it.

I can't cut it up. It's a single file. We used a professional editing studio to edit nearly two hours of raw footage into an 18 minute package to music. The movie is on a digital betacam master, is currently being turned into DVD and should be ready next week. Having exhausted our budget, we don't have any funds to create manageable chunks or convert sections into mpg format. I was therefore hoping there may be a way to view it as is via this site.

what is the size of the video? You might be better off offering this video to Biglines and seeing if they will put it up. anything over 4mbs over here is pushing the bandwidth too far. the other option is to pay for server time, or offer it up to a niseko company.

Once its on a DVD, it should be easy to rip and reencode into a much smaller file...but if its 18 minutes, it will still be in the 25 to 50MB range depending on the file format.

You could use something like bittorrent to distribute it. This saves on bandwidth because people who download it then upload it to other people who want it.

It shouldn't cost anything to rip it to xvid format where the file size is much smaller. There are freeware programs that do it, and you don't need a flash computer, special knowledge, or lots of time. In DVD (actually mpeg2) format, it's going to be far too big.

After that, upload it to a file transmission site like "yousendit".

You can also think about reducing the video quality to make the file smaller. No offence, but most people won't care if you're in decent quality or super high quality. They will care about how long it takes to download and how much space it takes up on their computer.

Quote:
can't cut it up. It's a single file. We used a professional editing studio to edit nearly two hours of raw footage into an 18 minute package to music. The movie is on a digital betacam master, is currently being turned into DVD and should be ready next week.
so how much does this kind of stuff cost?

figuring out how to do it ourselves (dvd authoring etc) took a bit of time to figure out, but it was free... conversely, our stuff probably doesn't look as good as the professionally done stuff ;\)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Shimba,

We got a good rate through a colleague of mine who owns a video production company.

Not sure what it would cost at 'commercial rates'. It would largely depend on the quality level you're aiming for.

We speant a day and a bit in the editing suite, but could easily have speant two weeks perfecting it if our budget allowed.

That said, the outcome is pretty impressive. The terrain/skiing is not extreme (it was filmed in Niseko afterall). But some of the footage and editing work is pretty cool.

I'll PM sava shortly to see if he can host it.

RichE

• 4 months later...

what ended up happening here? I would like to see it, I can host the file too as long and bandwidth doesn't get too out of hand (I have 2GB or webspace and 20Gb or bandwidth which I barely use)