Spook. The Trafic is a van, n`est pas? In which case it will certainly have a carb, buried under a web of 20 year old rubber tubes. Popping and banging in the exhaust on overrun is a classic symptom of a vacuum leak. Time to inspect the vacuum tubes for cracks, and the throttle spindle and carb gasket for leaks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Soubriquet, thanks for the advice. My mechanical know-how is very very limited, but the van is due for a full service soon, so i'll get it all checked out then.

And yes, the traffic is a big ol' van, I'm getting geared up for a long surf trip through Europe with my girl.

• 3 months later...

The results from a comparative test braking from 80kph have been put up on another board. The test was done in Finland on studless winter tyres, and the car was a VW Golf with Bosch ABS.

locked wheels

-dry pavement 45m

-snow 53m

-ice 255m

optimum (no ABS)

-dry pavement 37m

-snow 59m

-ice 295m

ABS

-dry pavement 32m

-snow 64m

-ice 404m

The results show the fastest way to stop on snow and ice is to lock all wheels. With all four wheels locked, you won't be able to steer however, so you'll either go straight on, or more likely arc down the camber.

The optimum figures are obtained by modulating brake pressure near the limit of adhesion. Generally by locking, backing off and re-applying pressure. This will allow some degree of steering control.

Just look at the ABS numbers, 11m further than locked wheels on snow and 149m on ice eek.gif . There should be no "operator skill" difference between locked wheels and full ABS, so those numbers should be real. Far out.

What does it mean? If you have ABS, ignore it on ice and snow, and get off then re-apply brakes as many times as you need to once it has triggered.

I know it is sometimes a little hard to get off the brakes when you need to stop, but it works. What I also like to do when I'm driving in slippery conditions, is to give the brakes a little test to see just how much braking I have before lockup. Obviously, not when travelling at speed with a truck up your arse.