Ok, just for 3 runs.

Yesteday had a great day at White World Oze Iwakura. It's a 3 hour drive from Tokyo and has plenty of powder opportunities that you don't have to share it with anyone, until I saw tracks of someone else and it went straight down. A little further I suddenly saw something moving and there was a mountaingoat.

marnix_1.jpg

The following 2 runs I saw him crawling through the snow making his way up hill. On the 3 third run he was standing on the top of some rocks and I approached him to make a better picture but then he jumped off the rocks and took off. After that I was all alone again.

Ok Kamoshika it is.

It has 2 little horns and looks sorts of like a very wooly goat.

Oze Iwakura was fun. Quite busy for a Thursday (a busload of SDF guys and some alpine and freestyle teams training) but no one off the groomed slopes. Most was roped off but it wasn't difficult to get to the good stuff and the partollers smiled at me when they saw me coming from a roped off area.

Even the Gondola line was completely accesible, although I didn't want to go there but ended up skiing it a few times because the bowl leading to the gondola line was the best I could find.

There was also snow packs on the side of the slopes windblown into perfect jumps to jump over the rope.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
It about 60km from Nikko.

Never seen any wild animals in the snow before. Later that day I also saw a rabbit (not white).
I saw a brown rabbit in the snow the other day as well Sanno
I've also seen white ones though
I wonder why some are brown and some are white when they look to be the same breed

Very nice picture Sanno, amazing you managed to get that close. I saw this one at 47 a few weeks ago, you can only guess it in the woods. Pic was taken from the quad at 47. Funny thing is, nobody else saw it. When I turned around, everybody on the quad was staring straight ahead.

On the same day we saw another one at Goryu. Apparently there are 2 groups of 3 (Parents + youngster) there. One at Goryu near the gelende, the other group at 47 near the quad.

SerreChe_56.jpg

Did you go with the family?

I saw an inoshishi at Kandatsu last year, heard there were quite a few sightings - then quite a few sightings of inoshishi dead near the road. Seems that if they don't 'get back to Gunma' before the winter sets in, they are doomed.