Some resorts seem to do it after a resort closes at night, some in a morning. Is there a norm? I'd have thought that doing it in a morning after new snow would be when the resorts want to do it, but they seem to do it more at night..anyone? cheers

If your do it just before the resodt opens its too soft and gets pushed into moguls. Resorts in general have more Groomers on the Mountain at around 12 midnight. Safety factors and all. Inthe early season groomers want to give the snowmakers some time to make snome some to push around. Plus depending on the size of the mountain it can take a while.

although there have been at least 2 or 3 trips last season where the resorts didn't START grooming until AFTER the lifts opened...that really pissed me off

1) it was a powder day! and I was mislead into believing that they left wide open runs filled with snow...I was more nieve back then

2) They CLOSED the @#%#$^ trail for the entire morning...that really got me cookin'...had a word or 2 with the patrol and lifties (not that it made a difference)

of course, I found my stashes in the trees and it was a good day...but really, all grooming should be done in the middle of the night...that's how its done back home...

danz

Most .au resorts do it at night, often starting as soon as the slopes close.

Ever listened to a winch groomer run out the cable as they come back down the hill. Sounds hell freaky.

Falls Creek had a couple out first thing in the am and up to midmorning iif the conditions meant that they needed to do stuff at that time.

If you are interested, a guy I know has done a page on the groomers at Falls Creek, check it out here .