Never heard of any. I found it pretty interesting, though, that the indoor place in Tokyo spilt up the day so skiers and boarders were never on the snow (or whatever it is) at the same time.

Only in Japan.

Well, I hope they come to pass. Take some heat off the skier/snowboard debate, I hope.

What happens to all the other downhill minority sports, though. Can mini-boards, sliding bike things, etc. use a ski or snowboard only resort?

Firstly let me say, for the record, that I have no problems happily co-existing with other forms of snow sports on the mountain...

I am, primarily, a skier although I have unsuccessfully dabbled in boarding and would like to try funskis... As an ex-motocrosser I know that you better not let me or any of my friends get on one of those sno-bike things because that would be a WAY big mistake... I would try telemark, but I don't think that my bad knee would cooperate at all...

With all of this in mind, I admit that I have caught an edge many times - and subsequently crashed a few of those times - on a large carved out line from a GS snowboarder at Whistler / Blackcomb... Jersey Cream if I recall correctly... And at the time would have gladly clubbed the first snowboarder to stop and ask me if I was OK... But these situations are few and far between and I think that maybe I've grown up....

But this is what I wonder....... Any resort that posts a SNOWBOARDERS ONLY sign will undoubtably get a big share of the Boarders.... But How are all of you Boarders gonna feel when you have to slide around the inevitable obsticle course that will be created from all of the Newbie, Poser, Wanna Be's sitting around on their frozen butts trying to look cool?????...

I mean this hill will likely look like the day after Xmas at any ski hill within an hours drive of any major metropolatin center anywhere... ( 'cept maybe for Aus of course ) ...

Comments ??..........

Doesn't make any sense to me at all, I'm more than happy to share the slopes with skiers. I'm sure most boarders would agree. It wouldn't be a selling point for me and the only resorts that would try it are likely to be non-event kind of places looking for a gimmick anyway. Freedom to hit the slopes for all I reckon.

I agree. I snowboard and have no problem with skiers. How lame would it be if your buddy, or girlfriend was a skier and the resort you wanted to go to didn't allow it.

I would be less likely to go to a "Snowboard Only" resort because I wouldn't want to support that elitist behavior.

I wouldn't necessarily choose to go to a snowboard only place. Actually, Nozawa where I go mostly has more skiers than snowboarders, so obviously boarding with skiers doesn't particularly bother me on the whole, notwithstanding what else I might have written. Having said that though, it's nice to go somewhere else and see loads of borders, including the hopeless looking ones (they might not always be that way).

But as all resorts grew up as ski resorts, imbued with ski culture, it would be interesting to see what sort of resort develops from being a boarding resort. An experiment in evolution. I think it's good that the sport has come far enough to have thought sort of self confidence.

This debate has raged for years.Unless your a place with one hell of a market niche, You should never segregate half the paying customers. There is only one resort that seems to make it work and thats Alta in America. But now that they have a shared ticket and lift with snowbird..... how long will the segergation last. We all do the same thing slide jump drink eat etc. eek.gif

I did indeed.

While it will no doubt attract a load of posers, if they also develop some attractions like demos, tryouts, and tie-ups with snowboarding brands, it might be an interesting development. Also shaking up institutions like the patrol and lessons would be good. Off-season boarding related activities would also seem a logical development.

But how far will they take it? If it's just 'boarders only' and that's it, then it seems pointless.

Here's another casual observation for comment...

Strike #1 - My experience with watching boarders has been that the vast majority of them are not the high disposable income types - perhaps un-like yourselves - that the Resorts want to attract necessarily...

Strike #2 - My thoughts were - again unlike most of you - the majority of boarders where in the 12- 22 age bracket and therefore not of the demographic that makes alot of purchases beyond the lift ticket...

Strike #3 - Alot of boarders that I have met are lunch-baggers and will do anything to avoid spending a buck or two... er yen I mean...

If we assume for a momment that perhaps these three things are true.. then we might conclude that a resort that was "Snowboard Only" might not want to have a Resort Onsen Hotel or a lot of shops and Restaurants at there facility.... Would the lift tickets then need to be pricier?? or Would the facilities / amenities suffer??

Please keep in mind that the members of this board are not necessarily part of the mainstream populace of the Snowboarding demographic here in Japan...

Comments....

Skate park, trampolines, Dirtsurfing and similar boarding, off-season training sort of stuff. Video games.

But how about the throw-it-in-your-face line that I kept getting when I asked if the current ski resort was the end of the evolutionary road? 'They MUST know what they're doing. What, all you armchair economists know better?!?!?!?' :p

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

But how about the throw-it-in-your-face line that I kept getting when I asked if the current ski resort was the end of the evolutionary road? 'They MUST know what they're doing. What, all you armchair economists know better?!?!?!?' :p
I agree that ski resorts need to be forward thinking and change with the times.. I for one agree that the way of thinking you stated is most detrimental BUT.. what I want to know is.. DO you think that there is enough money out there to be spent within the snowboarder demographic for a segregated resort to be successfull??? or will it be just a flash in the pan....

One board only resort opens, makes money... a few more open.... you are at a 'mixed' mountain... get in a 'situation'.... the skier says the all to predictable = "why dont you piss off and stick to your board only mountain".

This attitude will grow, boarders will avoid the mixed mountains in greater numbers, then what were formally mixed resorts will become ski only.

Not a good outcome, should it actually go that way.

The snowboarders I see all seem to be much better kitted out and attired than I am. Many are from the 3K jobs that actually pay quite well while imbuing the workers with a self-reliance that maybe leads them not to need overpriced katsu curry. So I conclude that they may have a good deal of disposable, but what the resorts offer is not particularly attractive, so they shun it.

If a snowboarding resort can provide some of those things, and they are laid on with much attention to the wants of target users, and they aren't available anywhere else, then maybe such a resort could thrive. I bet if you put a snowboarding arcade game in the smoking area or cafe of a resort you'd get people using it, to offer just one example.

I doubt it's going to cause a revolution though...

You can situate 'board related' activities in and near cities. No reason for affluent city ites to travel.

Snow sports have a lot more in common with each other than non snow sports. Powder riders love powder, regardless of medium, park toy boys do their thing. Many enthusiasts are competent in a few mediums.

I, for one, am quite happy with ski/snowboard only resorts. Too many to choose from anyway. Keeps the ignorant outta the other resorts.

Can't see myself driving between resorts every few hours everytime I change my ride!