lin, nothing to do with boots, but what do you do for a living? I'm curious...

Is there any reason why you couldn't substitute snowboarding boots for something like ski boots, other than factors of comfort and style?

actually...there are plenty of hard-boot boarders out there...i think its standard for boarder racers...like gs type events...looks like they use regular ski-boots to me...

and last season I saw some salomon ski-boots that looked almost like snowboard boots...at least there was very little hard plastic to be found...

danz

Run a serach for snowboard boots and ski boots and you will be able to see the obvious difference for yourself.

I did try linking some photos for you, but most sites use Flash nowadays so pretty difficult.

OK thanks, I have taken a look. They look generally much more comfortable than ski boots. Thats the worst part of skiing for me!

Ocean11, I work at a large intnl bank in Hong Kong.....why do you ask?

And, what does this mean?

Quote:
Is there any reason why you couldn't substitute snowboarding boots for something like ski boots

Hi lin,

I was just wondering if snowboard boots and ski boots might be interchangeable. Given that they both perform as an interface to a plank of one sort or another, I don't see why they need to be so different. Indeed, there seems to be some convergence in that snowboarding boots are generally getting stiffer.

What miteyak says also tends to confirm this - cool idea that.

mmm... heres my VIEWING difference...

have u ever just sat and eatten lunch and watch the skiers walk in there hard plastic boots??? if ya as me its pretty funny....

you watch a snowboarder walk and they look like normal people walking.... nothing to laugh about cause they got the right idea...

mmm....

just somthing i have noticed!

I think ski boots are designed to try to force the wearer to incline forward. Hence, the stiffness and the funny walk. Some boots have a dual "mode". One for walking which allows a little more ankle flexibility, and one for skiing which locks your ankles more forward. However, even with these adjustments, the funny walk is unavoidable.

Even though I am mainly a skier, this doesn't really bother me much since my friends say I walk funny all the time anyway, regardless of what I'm wearing.

ok danz i know they were made for skiing....

snowboard boots were designed for snowboarding....

the difference is snowboards can walk in their boots and not feel like robocop...

not only are the snowboard boots good for boarding but they are good for walking and treking....

just a boards-point-of-view answer!

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freaks_girl:

the difference is snowboards can walk in their boots and not feel like robocop...
Ever tried to walk in hybrid boots?

I have a pair of Rossignol boots designed for hybrid bindings, and they have a plastic frame that partiallt replicates the heelplate of a normal binding. This means that the boot has a forward lean, but they are good for kicking-in while going up a hill in search of that ellusive run \:\)

does anyone know why some of the laces on snowboarding boots are so damn long?

i just bought a pair of ThirtyTwo boots and they have practically a meter of extra laces hanging off them after they're done up.

ive used other boots that never had such long laces.

I have a pair of Sorel's that are really nice to hike in, and if I were to be doing a long hike, I would probably adjust my bindings to suit the Sorels. The longest hike I did this year was about 2 kilometres, aand that was a spur of the moment thing as we got off the chair.

Seeing most of it was uphill, It didn't really matter about the lean.

I like the Rosignols because they have that lean built in - it stops me from standing up straight \:\)

LACES?!

maybe its so when you are making the boot tighter then you can wrap the lace around ur hand for extra pull?

or maybe so u can wrap the excess round the top of your boot to make it tigher?

sure theres a logical reason!