How many times have you seen Satoya Tae's mogul run

I got up early this morning hoping to catch a report on the men's halfpipe and alpine skiing...

What I got was repeated shots of speed skater Shimizu's 500m run juxtaposed with slow-mo of his rival falling over in a different heat. What a triumph!

Then there was the 5th long report I've seen so far where the aerodynamic properties of speed skate suits are demonstrated in a wind tunnel.

Then there was the humorous piece showing the three amazing types of ice skates: figure, hockey and speed. This report ended up with a great laugh-getter: a housewife cutting veggies with a speed skate! Haw haw haw haw!!!

At this point I went into the shower.

When I came out, praise heaven, we were getting to some real news, it seemed. Someone had thumbtacked pages from several of today's newspapers to a bulletin board, and with a telescoping pointer was reading them out loud to all of us illiterate sods in TV land.

"OK," I thought, "as long as it is news about halfpipe and alpine skiing..."

But this was not to be. It was an expose on the rule change in ski jumping requiring a different ski length that implicitly disadvantages Japanese--this was proved beyond a doubt by listing the number of medals won by Japanese jumpers in the few years before the rule change, to the dearth of medals won by Japanese jumpers after the change.

I guess no other people on the planet could possibly be disadvantaged by the rule, which must selectively only apply to Japanese jumpers.

I guess, if we assume the rule change only affects Japanese jumpers, one could plya devil's advocate and postulate that it merely corrected an unfair advantage that Japanese jumpers had under the previous rule scheme, and now, with a dearth of medals, we are seeing a level playing field...

Then as I was knotting my tie and making that last mirror-check for dried bougars or errant eye crumbs, there was a short report on the halfpipe: a graphic showing the names of the 1-2-3 finishers, and underneath the name of the Japanese guy who came 5th. Then we were treated to his run...fine, but what about the 1-2-3 riders?

We don't get to see 'em.

Then there was Satoya partying with Morning Musume, there were interviews with Uemura and Satoya asking "what is your favorite music?" and then a clip of the offending band...

As my parents used to say to me, "I'm not angry...I'm just very disappointed..."

All I saw of the women's half-pipe was 'our girl' falling over on the local Nagano news. Yappa snobo-tte abunai ne.

The evening news that I saw was dominated by the Ogiwaras - one of whom is a sports 'reporter' and no longer jumps, and the other of whom doesn't win medals any more. Conflict of interest? Nah...

My parents used to say "We're angry and very disappointed." If I actually gave sh!t, I'd be speechless with fury.

And for the record, I think the one who won is cute. When she gets back, I'm going to have her over for toad in the hole, a rich rice pudding, and a choice of Guinness or Castle Eden. After, I'm going to massage her tired muscles then slip (censored)...

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 12 February 2002).]

Haven't seen any of the pipe so far.

But I saw the scores and the girl that rides for Kissmark came second last. I wanted to see if she'd really used a full set of Kissmark gear in the Olympics.

If that isn't a handicap then I don't know what is. cool.gif

All in about 30 times, seriously...going back to the half pipe & Olympic scandals, I thought the Japanese guy that came 5th was tops. Saw the US guy who was 1st & thought it didnt have a touch on the Japanese guy.

Anyway, how do I know, Im yet to board yet!

Looking forward to phat lip & broken backside.

No offence to the ladies, but it's a pity we didn't get to see more of the mens moguls. The guys got down the same run seven or eight seconds quicker (26/27 seconds as opposed to 34/35) and the airs were much bigger. That guy's off-axis air was pretty wild too.

simoncroft, if you've yet to board, can I recommend some serious upper body stretches and exercises, starting now, especially dips if you can find parallel bars. The aching chest and upper arms from cranking yourself off the deck with your arms behind you will last for a week if you don't...

Go simoncroft!

Ocean started tonite, but I guess 6 months too late! After skiing for the first time last year, my "jacksy" looked like it had been bush whipped with an Oak tree...Anyway, its the fun that counts...!

Must say, bloody cool website.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

simoncroft, if you've yet to board, can I recommend some serious upper body stretches and exercises, starting now, especially dips if you can find parallel bars. The aching chest and upper arms from cranking yourself off the deck with your arms behind you will last for a week if you don't...

Go simoncroft!

NoFakie, Yeah but it just doesnt look right men going that faaaaaassssst ! The girlies going like the clappers, then thats a different thing...

Quote:
Originally posted by NoFakie:

No offence to the ladies, but it's a pity we didn't get to see more of the mens moguls. The guys got down the same run seven or eight seconds quicker (26/27 seconds as opposed to 34/35) and the airs were much bigger. That guy's off-axis air was pretty wild too.

Yo simoncroft

Padded pants are good for beginner boarders. They also help keep your batty nice and warm if you don't have properly waterproof gear or take ages to strap into your bindings. I stopped wearing mine earlier in the season, then hit a tree and got a bruise the size of an orange. They're back on again now.

My old doctor friend told me that wrist injuries are very common with boarders, so give them a good warming up too. I'm sure you'll be able to work out a suitable method. Remember to do both hands now !

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...