FT will love this thread. Im going over old ground I know but I have read a lot on epicski tetongravity and here...

I want to try park, ski switch, try the pipe. i currently spend almost all my time off piste and plan to continue this. I consider myself an advanced/early expert skier with the mountain just opening up to me (starting to get into double blacks like at red mountain). I want a ski with a future.

Im a turn boy not a mach 10 cliff dropper or bowl ripper. Though I aspire to ski faster and "bigger". I like trees. I like powder but am not very powder experienced (yet) - some kneedeep in Canada the last few years. I like a more flexible ski than a stiff ski. I definitely like sidecut rather than straight ;\) I want float in powder (and im a FB!)

178cm 90kg (shh..shrinking)

40+ days per year skiing last few years (60+ in 2004)

Looking for 2 ski quiver. ic300s when no fresh else the new ski..

I love my Head ic300s (69 waist). They carve a wicked turn.

Im looking for 90mm+ fat ski which is a little more versatile than just a dedicated powder board. I dont want 85 or less...

The short list of skis is

Seth Pistols 179 (95mm waist)

Little Big Fat 178 (88), Mad Trix Mojo 176 (90)

Scratch BC 176 (but 86 in this length)

Intuitiv Bigs/ Nobis (could be a bit stiff, heavy and I dont think they are twins)

cost is somewhat of an issue..butim so excited. an older 03/04 set of SPs discounted would be great.

Sugar Daddys (probably not good in park and too fat for groomed)

Stomp (heavy and some say not good for park?)

PRs too soft + foam + my weight = prob not wise...but could be fun given my love of tight turns and trees..but could let me down at higher speeds

Goats, Legend, stormrider, explosivs

Everyone seems to have good things to say about the SPs. How would LBFs ski in comparison..

Im coming to Tokyo Saturday to BUY!

=========================================

Thx guys, Ak launchers added to the list. Ill probably race round like a madman, see whats out there discount wise...and compare that to the pistols....which seem premium and about 100k non discounted

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FT used to ski on LBFs so I'm sure he can give you a good review on them.

I think Captain Stag skies on Pistols. You out there Captain?

I'm on bigstix 10.6

I love them and think they are best thing ever. They even hold an amazing edge on the groomed. They don't have a full on twin but the tail is flared.

You are about my size. I'm just 10 kg lighter. I love a soft ski in the powder.

I got my K2 Launchers on sale and got em for pennies. 181s: 118-90-108 and paid like 250USD for em. Clearance is the way to go \:\)

IMO, id go for the SPs just because I wanted a fatter midsection but ended up buying some huge Atomics at 125-105-115 or something like that and had to add another pair to my quiver which doesnt make it easy to decide on weekend trips. The SPs are flexible like my AK launchers which is why Im giving them a thumbs up.

Is this the same guy who bought my Prs?

I think the SPs are a good fit at 179 and your size they will ride the park well. The Lbf is the same but wont float as much, but hold a better GS turn by far.

The nobis is the lbf just a tad stiffer and a tad wider but not by much.

The Rossi is foam pretty much and would go with the 180+ cause the 180- is a waist of money. Sugar daddy is a waist of money for the park.

sromp a bit stiff for what you want.

Line Mothership Flite or last years line moship in 180 would be a good buy.

The Pr 175 is a good park and powder ski same as all the above but way over priced at the moment.

i don't know where capt stag is, must be working (strange... lol.gif ), but you can trust me when i say he loves them. he barely rides his candides... when i'm wanting to swap the big stix 106 for my twins, he's still trucking on those things. i like my fatties, but after listening to capt stag, i wish i had pistols (they come in my length too now - midget)

The SP rocks in powder but feel pretty wide under foot on the slopes. Not much carve there.

LBF is last years model. This years Legend 8800 is the same as last years LBF. This is less float but more park/slope ski.

Depending on what you want you think you will actually be skiing (this can be a lot different from what you want to ski).

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:

Depending on what you want you think you will actually be skiing (this can be a lot different from what you want to ski).
Ive skied double blacks to 47 pitch in mix of conditions but mostly soft packed conditions. Had a bad slide and a bit spooked by steeps. For something hardcore people probably know, the Peak chair at whistler off to the right is the kind of terrain I hang out on. Have done spanky's at blackcomb and we just repeated outer limits over and over for fun. Nothing in Thredbo worried me. We had 40cm fresh at thredbo. Heavy and wet but I was coping while others were digging holes ;\) fall line black diamond moguls is fave terrain too.

Do I wanna follow FTs line ie. hike, ski big lines fast and risk my life wakaranai.gif maybe in a couple of seasons but Im not good enough yet.

PRs vs 8800 at Alta....

Whos actually been on the PRs...obviously there are mixed opinions about them, I do think they would be a fun ski for me, but people express concern at the foam core and loss flex particularly if you are a FAT B@5TRD skier like me ;\) ...

If I have to spend a lot, then the ski needs to have a future....

He doesn't risk his life. He does push himself though. There is a big difference.

The sluff was an accident that would probably have happened to any of us that are pushing it. We like to go fast. He didn't go fast enough :p and made a silly mistake. Live and learn.

Get a super fat and make aircraft carrier turns. My 2 cents.

Ive ridden SPs at Niseko. Really liked em - my mate who rides em is a japanese bloke and tiny and hes got the 188s - hes like a rock star on those things. I really liked em, thought they were quite similar to what Ive got but longer and fatter in the middle. I wouldve bought that had that been on clearance but noooooooo

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
quite similar to what Ive got but longer and fatter in the middle.
You forgot the twin as well.
I don't really understand why K2 got rid of the twin on the Ak Launcher. They should have just left it and changed the graphics a bit. Even a bit of a flared up tail like my fats would have been good.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
He doesn't risk his life. He does push himself though. There is a big difference.
The sluff was an accident that would probably have happened to any of us that are pushing it. We like to go fast. He didn't go fast enough :p and made a silly mistake. Live and learn.
Sure sure...I hear ya.... But as careful as you guys are, your honour, I submit you big mountain hardcore boys might just have stretched your definition of whats risky beyond that of the average skier. I have no doubt in my mind that you are taking risks \:\)

And good.on.ya!

clap.gif

I can't wait.

Phool - If you can handle yourself on the difficult areas of Spankies and Whistler's Peak chair you are probably better than the average skier.

There are a few areas where you could seriously mess yourself up there.