The main places - never. They sometimes have very slow days (to say the least!) but they make sure they don't get blocked off with an army of machines, sprinklers, salters, etc.

There`s one that I know of, but it`s not a major ski area. It`s Okutadami Maruyama in Niigata Prefecture. When the snow really starts falling hard the place shuts down until the end of March. It`s kind of a secret spot for borders(well, I guess not anymore). BTW, does any boarding freak in this forum know when it will close for its "winter recess?" Cheers

The place where I live gets HUGE amounts of snow, like so much it crushes houses etc if you dont shovel if off the roof, but the roads are almost always fantastic. Ive had only 1 day in 2 winters where I couldnt get where I wanted to go, and usually the road is so good that only the trucks use chains. They have heated roads in the middle of town, sprinklers on the less used roads in town and the snowploughs go out as much as 2 or 3 times a day to deal with the roads. Of course pretty much every car here is 4WD though. Its just suck how they dont grit the roads as ice can be a bit of a problem sometimes, esp early winter and spring.

I've seen some pretty hairy situations, but never so that places are blocked off. Lots of congestion though in snow storm times. I've heard of people taking 8-10 hours to get back to Tokyo (usual time 3 hours)