skiing and snowbaording - is there really a difference

I'm just curious as to how many people out there think boarding is better than skiing or vice versa?? Personally, I think we're all heading down the mountain and having a lot of fun, so does it matter whether your feet are stuck together or not!?!? Who's to say which is more cool...

Cant comment on it very wisely given I have never dirt surfed, so I will tread carefully.... no, in fact I won't even bother, my ignorance in the matter is to great.

(I was going to propose that blading is the superior off-snow alternative, regardless of which is better on snow).

Yes you are right that we both go down the mountain but that about it. 2 completely different sports, sure they are similar in ways and since snowboarding came around it probably pushed and given new moves to freestyle skiing.

same story about surfing and bodyboarding

surfers genrally look down on anyone that uses a different craft regardless of their ability.

as for me totally NO interest in skiing

Roller blading looks fun too, but then that's got more in common with skating than skiing no? I suppose you can take roller blades more places than you can a Dirtsurfer. (deebee, you may very well become a skier one of these days. Your affiliation seems to be quite equivocal...)

It really is the sticks that make skiing look so naff to me. Fun skis look kinda crap too, but at Happo the other day I saw a bloke skiing on skis that seemed to be chopped off at the back, with no poles, and that looked like fun - actually quite cool.

If you started off skiing without poles, would there be any major drawbacks?

I've skied without poles many times. It's a pretty fun alternative when the snow is crap or you're just tired of the runs you've been hitting all day. Realistically, skiers don't use their poles too much on the groomers. It's supposedly a form thing, but I call hogwash on that. The only time I find poles come in handy is in the steeps where you actually do use them for stabilization and as a tool for performing jump turns. Well, and poles are pretty useful in moguls too.

I don't really think there is that much of a difference between the two sports. Hell, I ski and I surf and I skate. Just enjoy whatever you will. I don't really give a rip about cool factor. I just try to have fun.

Yeah, I certainly used to enjoy skiing. Got nothing against it thats for sure.

I would probably equate the fun ski possibilities to roller blading.

Also, my very uneducated guess would be that if you had middle length skis (longer than fun skis, shorter than normal) you could have a lot of fun and have no need for the poles.

Dunno, I am to intrigued with working out boarding at the moment to be bothered with other variants.

One thing I wont be touching is one of those snow bikes.

Quote:
Originally posted by deebee:

One thing I wont be touching is one of those snow bikes.
i did that in switzerland.
what a horrible horrible piece of equiptment.
i went at night when it was sorta icey and i could not stop on the damn thing. it just skidded down the hill at high speeds.

was that the type with or without the seat? There is a place in switzerland that is the home to the ski bike (with seat). They are seldom/never seen elsewhere. I tried one of them also in switzerland when I was very very young

The other type of bike is like a broken snowboard with no seat - more like a scooter.

Quote:
was that the type with or without the seat? There is a place in switzerland that is the home to the ski bike (with seat). They are seldom/never seen elsewhere. I tried one of them also in switzerland when I was very very young

The other type of bike is like a broken snowboard with no seat - more like a scooter.
no it had a seat and huge wheels
and it was really heavy
and i went up one of those lifts with the damn thing.
i saw my whole life flash before my eyes.

never. again.

wheels??!!

The type I tried was like a low riding bike with a long padded seat. You could turn the handle bars. It had fun ski for each wheel.

My old man wouldn't buy me a lift ticket, I had to push it back up the hill. I ditched it for my green garbo bag after a few runs.

Quote:
wheels??!!

The type I tried was like a low riding bike with a long padded seat. You could turn the handle bars. It had fun ski for each wheel.

My old man wouldn't buy me a lift ticket, I had to push it back up the hill. I ditched it for my green garbo bag after a few runs.
thats like a tabogan type thing (tryed that too)

the thing im talking about is a huge ass bike.

im convinced these things should be illegal.

That's really funny about those sled jobs. Simple is best eh?

When I talk about cool, I'm not on about superficial appearances. The essence of the snowboarding stance, the beauty of the board itself, the unencumbered hands - that's what's cool.

So deebee is a fruit-booter eh???

I thought you would say surfing is the best off snow activity. I have never tried it myself, but I am convinced if I lived somewhere with easy surfing access I would be a surfer.

fruit-booter = rollerblade?

I used to do it years ago as it was more fun than jogging and less damage on the joints. I stopped when my gear got stolen.

Skiing, sboarding, blades, skateboarding, dirtsurfing etc are all essentially a mode of transportation. Some require gravity and some dont. Surfing really cant be classified as a mode of transportation. It is also incredibly difficult.

Sosurfing as an off-snow equivalent to boarding? It seems immediately like a good alternative but I dont think it holds. Hard for me to comment as I cant really snowboard. A bit tongue in cheek, but perhaps snowboarding is a fun alternative to surfing, but not the other way around.

Surfing is quite unique.

interesting comments... well, it seems to me that more often than not, it`s the people who aren`t very good who claim that one is better than the other. anyway, maybe i`ll try boarding one day... but not till i`ve got myself some twins!!! \:\)