So first let me say that I no longer trust the NOW reports or the snowfall stats on the weather forecasts, I have missed a few epic days now, due to lack of reports, inaccurate reports, whatever.

I`m not sweating it too hard, I go when I go, but let`s just say I follow it all very closely and have been let down a few times.

On to the good news - - It won`t stop snowing here in Nagano, to all of y`all lookin` for some deeeeeeeeeep pow, GET THEE TO SOMEWHERE ! ! ! ANYWHERE ! ! - face shots and clean lines all day long at 47/Goryu, and now that my buddy showed me the tree lines, It`s going to be powder for days.

What more can I say, except there is just maaad snow and enless lines to be torn up.

Today was number 8, tomorrow 9, Friday 10 - then I`ll see a whole bunchya at the Snowbeds party this weekend ! !

Stoked, yes . . . stoked . . .

yo barok...

i'll be up at the snowbeds shingding...

would you care to show me some of those phat powder filled tree lines?? i've never skied hakuba (except for cortina last season, which was just a slushy mess...)

peace...

danz

Just to be clear on this point.

The NOW pages are written by people living in the actual places concerned. So personally trust them or not, the info is coming from those places.

The weather and snow depth info on the site comes from perhaps the biggest source of weather data in Japan, the snow depth info in turn coming from the resorts themselves.

There is little else more that we can do in an attempt to provide you with the latest information. We do provide this information to our readers at great expense, and it seems that many people are happy with that - and we will continue to do that as long as the majority are finding it to be of use.

We fully acknowldege that weather forecasts can be wrong and weather conditions change very quickly - look at Yuzawa today for a good example - but that is completely beyond our control.

I:d just like to say thanks to the Ski Japan Guide team for keeping me so well informed. Not being near the slopes, I don't really like spending 50,000 yen on a wasted trip, and the up to the day NOW pages provide more information than can be gathered by any other means i've found.

As for weather forecasts, they're a hard call in Japan, as anywhere. Trust what's there, (daily reports, snow predictions (the three day forecast is pretty good). Otherwise, get yourself some satelite links with mpegs http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/index-e.html and add all the info together and work out the variables. All good skills to aquire if you want to go BC for a few days anyway.

A note on criticizing a free site ... you get what you pay for (and i'd be more than happy to pay for the service provided here).

We get infinitely more than we "pay for" here. What we are given here is frickin' awesome. I'm sure most people agree here, even if barok doesn't seem to appreciate it.

I am sure that weather data for all Japan doesn't come cheap.

miteyak - thanks for the comments.

The info provided, as we said before, is all either coming from people living in those areas, or (in the case of the weather forecasts) from official Japanese weather data sources (the exact same data that is also used by large TV stations, weather forecasts, newspapers, etc etc).

oo - thanks. And no, it certainly doesn't come cheap.

As always it takes a bit to decipher what info comes from where and how reliable it is. I would have assumed that the new snow records that come from the resorts would over estimate how much they really have but the 2cm of new snow at geto today was about knee deep - now im home the depth on the report says 16 cm which is still very conservative. As long as they are consistant ill know what they mean in the future.

The few years I`ve been living here have taught me to take ANY weather report with a grain of salt. Keep in mind afterall it is an island country with extremely unpredictable weather patterns. I do appreciate all the info this site has provided us, though. Use them as your references, not DA WORD. ;\) Keep them info coming! P.S. Barok, ya lucky bastard \:\)

That makes me question, SJ-moderators, what are the sources of revenue for this site? It seems to be a hefty venture. Can you share any of this info with us?

Resorts pay for prime real estate? The reviews are very non-biased and there certainly is no advertising.

okay, so perhaps I shoulda been more clear - My point was not to complain about my own personal loss of days or about the site. . . I`ve already gone more days than I should have, and this site is where I have gotten ALL the information to get me there. So to chime in THANKS ! ! And yes I know the site is free and that the NOW reports are provided by volunteers.

and it`s not the actual forecasts that I`m whining about either - of course I know you can`t predict the weather to any reasonable certainty.

one point is that the snowfall depths on the forecast pages and likewise with the now reports have been inaccurate. They reflect the depth in the nearest town, much more so, than on the mountain. I read a report that says "no new snow" and I don`t go, then I read posts or talk to my friends who did go - and instead of no new snow - it`s clean lines all day long.

I don`t expect anything more than what I get here, or whatever - I`m stoked.

I hear alot of people on this site saying that they don`t want to ride early because they are afraid of bad conditions. The main point of my post, if you read the subject, was to say that

CONDITIONS ARE SPECTACULAR - GO NOW ! !

Today was another epic day in Nozawa - best day yet as a matter of fact - thanks zwelgen ! !

Danz - I`ll show you the goods !

enderzero - lookin` forward to it.

atomicskis - I know the days are epic because my friends tell me, or I read about it.

jared - werd

SnoboYaro - double werd

mogski - CANCEL ! !

SkiJapanGuide - Thanks for EVERYTHING ! ! !

rajeem, mogski, oo - see above

peace to all.

• SnowJapan Moderator

Final comments on this issue.

Quote:
one point is that the snowfall depths on the forecast pages and likewise with the now reports have been inaccurate
Snow depths are provided by official sources, (which come directly from the resorts themselves)- data which is not "town snow depth" but the snow depth actually at the resorts. We do not have any control over that data as it is (indirectly) provided by the resorts themselves on a daily basis, from a reputable source. However, the bottom line is that the data comes from the resorts themselves - if you feel that the data they are providing concerning the snow depths at their resorts is incorrect, then take it up with the resorts themselves!

Secondly, our Now reports are not "inaccurate". They are meant to give people who do not live in the nearby area an idea of the weather and snow conditions in some of the popular mountain towns and resort areas. Yuzawa Now covers the general conditions at Yuzawa town, a town with 19 separate resorts. Likewise there are a great many resorts in Hakuba etc.

We are going to close this topic now, so that we can concentrate on continually improving the site instead of answering questions about our reporting publically.

If there are any issues you wish to bring up (or even feel that there are serious inaccuracies in our Now reports) - then please do so by emailing us at editor@snowjapan.com

Thank you.

PS Just to add to the above comments: we don't want to discourage threads and posts on weather and snow conditions on the forums - far from it, the more the better!

The point being...if you wish to bring up an issue concerning our reporting, then please do mail us about it....thanks