• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a2k as you are in Sugamihara means your near the Chuo express way, which is of course a long way from Kanetsu unless you use the ken endo or what ever it is called to join to kanetsu so Yuzawa area is

Kawaba in Gunma, about 25 minutes or so from Numata IC on the Kanetsu.   It's one of the places I'm going to this coming season. Really liked it when I went before.

Yeah, Sagamihara to Numata using Ken-o & Kan-etsu is 155km, about Y4,600 in tolls. Lot of good skiing off that exit, Oze White World, Kawaba as Muika says, Marunuma Kogen. Trains to anywhere from

From Spring 2015 the new Shinkansen line from Nagano to Itogawa will stop at Shi-Myokokogan. This will get you to Myoko ski areas before 9.30am from Tokyo.

Shame it starts from the 15th of March when the best part of the season and incidentally,also that line's highest revenue producing period is over.

From Spring 2015 the new Shinkansen line from Nagano to Itogawa will stop at Shi-Myokokogan. This will get you to Myoko ski areas before 9.30am from Tokyo.

Where's "Shi-Myokokogan", John-San?

Shame it starts from the 15th of March when the best part of the season and incidentally,also that line's highest revenue producing period is over.

I wouldn't be so sure that skiers will be massive users of the line. I reckon the busiest time for it will be whenever old dears in Tokyo think is a good time to go to Kanazawa. For overseas skiers flying into Narita, direct bus or shared taxi will be more convenient.

fwiw, the one-way price from Omiya to Kanazawa was announced the other day as about 14,500 yen, which is apparently cheaper than the plane. Myoko and Nozawa are about half way, so maybe that much for a return.

Because these are linked to rail travel, the brochures won't be out until mid-late October. They always stop your runs at the end of March/first week of April if you're lucky. After that it's arranging separate travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Kawaba in Gunma, about 25 minutes or so from Numata IC on the Kanetsu.

It's one of the places I'm going to this coming season. Really liked it when I went before.

I think Kawaba would be the best balance of a nice skijo with good snow not too far away if you are going by car. Just try to avoid going home Sunday night if possible. If you have to go back Sunday I recommend taking a hot spring, eating some dinner and taking it slow on the way home. Yuzawa is another great option but the tolls would be higher. Might also look into Naeba and Kagura. You can exit the Kanetsu in Tsukiyono and drive 45 minutes up the 17. Kawaba is one exit closer to you (Numata) and only 20 minutes from there. I would probably hit Kawaba first then consider other places later.

• 3 weeks later...

Where's "Shi-Myokokogan", John-San?

Still Getting built,

You live in Japan, don,t you. How the F%$# do you get around if you don,t know that Shinkansen has a own Platform (Shi) or station. So what would you do if you were to travel to say Yokohama from Tokyo on the Shinkansen. Wait for it to pull up to Yokohama. It won,t . It will pull up at Shi Yokohama and you will end up at Shi Odawara, Tubby !

Never heard of this 'Shi Myokokogan' station.

Or actually 'Shi Odawara Tubby' station either.

Jolly silly names.

Better tell JR - they don't seem to have heard of them either!

In the interest of correct information, rather than just ribbing Biggen / John-San for always talking complete bollocks and being a prize plonker:

The Shinkansen station that is popping up in southern Niigata Prefecture is actually called 'Joetsu Myoko Station'. Obviously, there is no 'Shi Myokokogan'. Well, not in the real world anyway.

The Shinkansen station in Yokohama is called 'Shin Yokohama Station'.

The other one mentioned is called 'Shin Odawara Station'.

'Shin' (not 'Shi') being 新 ...the kanji for 'new'.

OK, enough of that, back to being silly...

Cool, just have never heard of this 'Shi Myokokogan' station.

Or actually 'Shi Odawara Tubby' station either.

Jolly silly names.

Better tell JR - they don't seem to have heard of them either!

Do you live in Japan? You don,t know of much about even the simple things that a person would know after living here for the amount of time you say you have. You are a full of it.

In the interest of correct information, rather than just ribbing Biggen / John-San for being a prize plonker:

The Shinkansen station that is popping up in Niigata is actually called 'Joetsu Myoko Station'.

The Shinkansen station in Yokohama is called 'Shin Yokohama Station'.

The other one mentioned is called 'Shin Odawara Station'.

'Shin' being 新 - the kanji for 'new'.

OK, enough of that, back to being silly...

Shinkansen means Super Express Not New super express. Shi means City. Shinsen na means new or fresh. You just make up shite and your are full of it. Do you live in Japan or just pretend too.