Ah, but it does the ego good to see dudes who are otherwise skilled boarders get on the ice, ride 20 meters and then wipe out like a complete jerk boarder!

I went to Nozawa 2 days after some heavy rain and sat (in a heap myself) watching them do the icebahn boogie one after the other.

BamBam - probably you are referring to that nice steepish "boiler plate" with a sherbet topping on the bottom of the Ohgenashi run before the lift station at Arai. As an intermediate skier, the only answer to that stuff is good equipment and a good tune up - meaning SHARP edges. I guess the same goes for boarders. In fact last weeks conditions showed the real value of the drollness of maintenance being so critical. Saw a lot of "grrrraaaating" virging on "grading" esp. by some boarders. But hell, I agree who likes ice lurking below a shadow of frost. I asked a guy last season for some advice on how to tackle it and he just said "Go fast. The sooner you're off it the better." Me - go fast on that. Jeeez. \:D

what y'all need to do is spend a good 5 years skiing in New England...if it weren't for ice, there would be nothing to ski in most of that region....

high speed carving on blue ice will put the fear of god in you....trust your edges!

danz

yeah, but not this weekend!

5 inches per hour! A drunk guy couldn't pee that fast.

"ALBANY, N.Y. - More than 2 feet of snow fell Wednesday in parts of upstate New York as a powerful nor'easter moved up the Atlantic Coast, setting Christmas snowfall records, closing airports and bringing an unexpected holiday spectacle of lightning and thunder.

The Mohawk Valley was blanketed with up to 30 inches of snow Wednesday that fell as fast as 5 inches per hour, said Evan Heller, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Albany"

I was pulling your leg about it being different. there is an article on this site that pokes a little fun at the failed attempt by some pollie to support the japanese ski manufacture industry by claiming that foreign skis don't work in Japan as the Japanese snow is different.

Ice is ice - very beginner un-friendly (but it is good to here that the more progressive have issues with it as well).