(or whatever it's called in Japan)

Today it arrived.

I really didn't know what to expect and was kind of dreading opening it.

Anyway, it's about 85000 yen.

I suppose it's less than I was thinking it would be, though I think I was told that the first year was cheaper than normal.

Anyway well up on how these things work?

Yeah, I think its a bit cheaper first year. It goes down over time as your house depreciates though.

It sounds like the local taxes on property in the USA are huge. In some places, its 2% of the property's value a year. So for a 30 million yen house, you'd be looking at 600,000 yen a year. Even at 1% it would be 300,000.

Here we don't have to pay land tax on properties that are our principal residence or are a farm. We do pay stamp duty though when you purchase a property of up to 5.5% of it's value. Which considering property prices in Australia now can be a lot of money. The property we just bought will have a stamp duty amount that is considerably more than what was my annual salary in Japan!

Ours is considerably more but we got a 3 year tax rebate on that so basically we dont pay anything for three years.

Im not sure the exact details as I let my wife deal with stuff.

We pay 120,000 a year. We rebuilt a house, but the taxman insisted its a new build. Had we been able to register as a rebuild (kaichiku), it would have been maybe 20,000.

Compared to what the Japanese government spends though, it's not very much. Our youngest is in full-time daycare and that much cost the government a fortune every month.

Seems you were not able to persuade the taxman there.... is it a case of they come round, take a look, and when tax comes round you just get a bill?

Or is it more detailed/easy to predict than that?

No 'appeals'?

We pay 120,000 a year.

Similar here. There was some discount the first 3 years. Amount changes every 3 years.

Not based on market values, as mentioned, but on floor space and construction type, plus probably some other factors.

Interesting, thanks.

I'll expect it to be a bit more next year then.

I'm quite pleased as I had my guess down as closer to 15 man. Always better to overestimate things like this and be pleased than the other way round!

:)

Rather than the property tax, there are more important things to worry about.

p1-population-a-20140510.jpg

Half as many women in their 20s and 30s? :omg: :omg: :omg:

(can't see it happening for Hakuba btw)

actually my Missus was telling me that Sapporo has one of the highest rates of single women to men (she didn't mention ages though :confused: )

Wish I knew that a few years ago!! I would've been up here more, talking about trying to pull them!

• Like 1