I had to go sign up for my driver licence renewal the other day. Filled out all the forms. As I was caught without my seatbelt on one time - very sorry - I have to sit through a 1 hour 'lecture' (??) in a few weeks time.

I am pretty sure the lady said I need to bring a pencil.

First up, what might that be for? And, do they not have writing 'equipment' at the driver licence center?!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I had to sit through a 1 hour lecture that took a little over 2 hours. We needed writing material for the lectur because they put us into small groups and had us work on different problems that you could face while driving. Our group's 'problem' was "what do you do when you've been drinking?" It was a complete joke! On the bright side, I was able to meet a nice young lady!

Don't worry about the Japanese. I had to do the full class about 8 years ago for an accident I got in. You won't have to write anything and your involvement level is up to you. I remember having a similar experience as BM....a couple cute ladies and a good bunch of people in general. Content though is bogus and insulting.

I don't think my Japanese was that good at the time... I didn't really understand what was going on even. I didn't need to write anything in Japanese and as Chris says, the content is really obvious stuff like not running over people on bicycles, pedestrians and stuff.

I had to do the lecture thing because I'd got done for doing more than 30km over the speed limit. It was really boring and useless and during a safety movie they showed us about half the class appeared to fall asleep. There was no group work or any sort of test or anything.

I took a pencil but of course I can't really read or write any kanji and my Japanese wasn't great. No one seemed to care. No one took notes. As I say half the class actually appeared to go to sleep during the movie. And the safety stuff in the movie was the most basic crap. Anyway at the end they signed the paperwork I needed to get my license renewal and that was that.

My license is also up for renewal, got to do it by mid March latest! Last time I did my renewal it was fill in a form, take an eye test, watch a 2 hour movie fall asleep, wake up and bingo I go and get my new license. So I guess this time will be much the same, will see once I go, which will probably be next week actually.

I had to this a few years ago because i also forgot to renew my license. Most were asleep during the lecture.

Actually the lecturer tried very hard to keep it entertaining. But because i stood out like a sore thumb he asked me many questions.

"How about you Mr. Eigo?" was his favorite phrase.

You have to get one of your registration forms from city hall (koseki, I think). Other than that plus a bit of shaming attitude from the MV officer it's about the same as renewing. Also, you'll be bumped down to blue license status which affects your safe driving insurance discount..... it's a fair chunk of change if you add up the years it takes to get back to gold.

Ya...that place SUCKS... waiting around all day. The service window is only open for 15 minutes a day. I begged and pleaded and tried to rationalize with them to keep my gold status. They'd have nothing of that being rational business...... everything is either black or white with them.

No...nothing at all. They were very robotic and I was just a number. One other Japanese guy that was there under similar circumstances got a little riled up about it but in the end....busted to blue..

Hey....that sounds like a good name for my band..."Busted to Blue"...... (we need a name change)