Rusutsu has been Ok apart from the last week the base is 50cms higher than last year so you have to duck more branches so snowfall has been good

Mikes Vids show he gets the goods just a bit of local knowledge, research and luck also helps

The only downfall with Rusutsu has been more people and ski school

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess it's horses for courses, really. Mike does a great job of sniffing out the good stuff, and people who rent cars have a better chance of accessing better areas than those who are resort-bound.

We also had no problem finding hotels on the day of or day before in most places too. If we wanted to change area (eg. Tomamu way/ Otaru etc). We'd normally decide the day before if we were going to

Can you be a little more specific Tubby. How about some GPS coordinates and pictures of the food?

We've had a car and been willing to use it. It definatlely let us make the most of what snow did fall with fresh lines to be found on nearly all our days. But it's probably not for everyone- we dont mind driving. We also counter the cost by staying in towns or small hotels away from the lifts and not fancy places at the resorts.

I don't think we could go back to being based in one spot. I'd feel too hemmed in.

That would be my advice to anyone coming over for a couple of weeks....cheaper accommodation away from the resorts (why not stay in Kutchan or a place a small drive away?) plus a car.

But I definitely think the rain we received mid January and the mild temps we had for a while allowed the sasa to uncover and reset things back to mid-December like conditions on the slopes! It wasn't until the start of Feb that most of the sasa started to disappear again, allowing easier access to the tree lines. The rivers also took a lot longer to freeze over and disappear this season (still encountered some massive, gaping holes revealing running streams last weekend at Kokusai!!) I'm not saying there hasn't been some sick, deep powder days this year, because I've had a few myself, but rather that the milder temps (low minuses to above freezing) have had some serious affect on the rivers, sasa and trees this year.

This is all based on Rusutsu and Kokusai riding.

Don't know where everybody else has been skiing?

Come on now, don't be insincere.

Ask many in Niseko - heard of it? - in the last week or so, with hardly any fresh, and they might wonder what you're on about.

Not everyone has a car or is willing to make journeys. Going to Niseko and having to travel to find fresh snow is not part of the deal.

I wasn't being insincere.

The OP asked about conditions on Hokkaido this winter. Not specifically about Niseko.

I gave my take on what has been in my opinion a great winter skiing Niseko United, Moiwa, Rusutsu, Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai.

We also had no problem finding hotels on the day of or day before in most places too. If we wanted to change area (eg. Tomamu way/ Otaru etc). We'd normally decide the day before if we were going to change area and book online or call ahead before we left so we didn't have to stress after a days riding. Only place that was a little tricky was Kutchan where I had to do some ringing around. But still- found somewhere the night before (and a sat night too) for 12000 for two people. The cities also make for a fun change. Plenty of dining options and site seeing to add to the trip.

• Like 1

Have u been to Teine yet? I was thinking u were there today.....was beautiful weather with a nice little top up.....I wish I was up the hill instead of stuck in a school looking up to the resort

I'm building myself up for the Big G!!

Have u been to Teine yet? I was thinking u were there today.....was beautiful weather with a nice little top up.....I wish I was up the hill instead of stuck in a school looking up to the resort

Next week TB!!

It's all talk though isn't it Mick. Come on admit it. Not to fear, Mt Granview spooks even the gnarliest of them all!

Perhaps I should hire a local guide - know anyone Muika? ;-)

Wish I'd seen this last night!! Thanks anyway Mike - am heading to Kokusai 2moro so hopefully you've left some pow for me!! Kiroro's actually ok. Still lots of snow in the trees and it's holding up well in the shade :-) Nice resort - reminds me a little of Kamui.