Why does Gala Yuzawa only plan to open 21st Dec?

Don't know actually.

Resorts like Iwappara who have early planned openings - theirs is tomorrow - almost never meet that date.

A look back over the Yuzawa reports might shed some light on the lots of snow or not issue.

OK. I have given up trying to understand that.

What?

They had laid down plastic mats, upon which one could ski, à la Runcorn, or Marunuma Kogen in the summer.

With which they had opened early, before snow had fallen.

Well I am off for my first ski of the season tomorrow, as Sun Meadows open tomorrow, doubt the snow will be all that good, but my daughter has joined a local ski club and their first meet is tomorrow, so will have my first ski tomorrow as well.

Sun Meadows in Kiyosato have strangely enough opened earlier than any other year I can remember, I guess as it has quite cold during the days here since way back in November and recently very cold at night they have been able to make enough snow to help add to the little that nature has deposited.

Anyway will see what it is like tomorrow this early in the season!

me too........Im away to teine.....sure is nice sleeping in until a normal time before going up the mountain....no 5am trains to tokyo, no shinkansen, no running the gauntlet of the devil's road..... :)

me too........Im away to teine.....sure is nice sleeping in until a normal time before going up the mountain....no 5am trains to tokyo, no shinkansen, no running the gauntlet of the devil's road..... :)

Yeah, well now you'll just have to suffer the horrors of Too Much Snow.

We went skiing, just did half a day as my daughters club finished lunchtime.

As expected not good snow conditions, but then can't really grumble as it is only early season.

Only one course was open, but it was good to get out there and stretch those legs. It was an enjoyable morning, although with so little open more than a morning would have been way too much!!!!!

The weather was a mixture of sun/clouds and light snow flurries with a temperature of -1 at just be for 12 noon.

The club are meeting there again tomorrow and my daughter is debating whether to go tomorrow or not as she has a cold, so if she decides to go looks like we will be there again tomorrow.

On train home from Teine....had a great day....snow was in good condition. There were some grass sticking through som of the slopes but we did bowl 2 in Teine and it was nice n powdery. Sure there was a lot of vegetation on show but the snow condition was a surprise....I was expecting hard icy conditions, it was soft n powdery for most of the day

So did I....but for the afternoon. They'd had a little top up overnight but it was all bashed by the time I got there....really needs a big fall of snow as the lower slopes are starting to have a bit of plant life poking through.