Hey guys,

So a buddy and I are in the first stages of planning a return to Japan for some powder runs. Last year, with the help of the members here, we hit up Hakkoda and Niseko - both of which were UNBELIEVABLE. Seriously - we had an epic time and got lucky with a ton of powder and great days of boarding.

This time around, we are trying to debate going back to the same ones (Hakkoda and Niseko) or trying out Furano and Asahidake. In terms of preference, we really enjoyed Hakkoda's backcountry runs. At Niseko, we spent four days there but less than half a day on the actual resort runs - we climbed up the top and ran down the backsides, which again was backcountry and equally amazing (maybe even a bit more wide open at the top).

I've done some preliminary research on Asahidake and it seems right up our ally and it looks to be similar to Hakkoda. But I don't know much about Furano - so would welcome thoughts.

Also open to other recommendations in addition to Asahidake and Furano.

Here is the thread from last year: http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/22497-what-to-expect-hakkoda-and-niseko/

And here are some pics from our trip!

GOPR0990.JPG

GOPR1008.JPG

GOPR1027.JPG

Asahidake and Furano are different kettles of fish.

Asahidake is quite gnarly whereas Furano is nice n comfy. My humblest opinion, so for whoever considers Furano gnarly, I apologize in advance.

If you're into the Asahidake kind of terrain, you might find Furano a bit of a bore. Maybe you'd be better off doing Kurodake instead of Furano.

My goodness...I think I may actually agree with you Thursday....

So ya...what he said.

thursday? Huh?

Yeah so I completely understand that sentiment - I'm a creature of habit too. However, Japan being so big - I'd love to try out at least a couple more spots - then, next time (and the time after), I'll probably just pick the two best and go with that annually.

Winter vacation - is Asahidake similar to Hakkoda? It looks like it - looks like one tram and backcountry down to the bottom. Is that what you mean by "gnarly"? Is Kurodake similar - ie; open riding, not groomed?

Asahidake and kurodake are both a cable car to half way up the mountain and skin to the top. Neither are like resort riding at all.

I have not been to hakkoda but it looks more rider friendly than both the others.

Kurodake is brilliant for the scenery but the riding wont blow your mind, nor will asahidake.

Asahidake and kurodake are both a cable car to half way up the mountain and skin to the top. Neither are like resort riding at all.

I have not been to hakkoda but it looks more rider friendly than both the others.

Kurodake is brilliant for the scenery but the riding wont blow your mind, nor will asahidake.

Got it - do you have any other recommendations? What is your favorite place?

Wangta.... Winter Vacation is AKA "Thursday" from years gone by..

LOL, got it, thank you for the explanation.

Oh, also wanted to ask...how do these places we discussed (or others we did not discuss) rate in terms of nightlife? Last year, we had a couple nights out in Sapporo and to our surprise, had a blast! We actually enjoyed it much more than Tokyo. The focus of the trip is to board, but would love to get a couple fun nights out if possible and not too far away.

The most technical skiing with dramatic scenery I've had on Hokkaido has been top to bottom Kurodake.

1200m of mostly fall line skiing with wide open bowl up top and tight trees down low.

Furano. Had 4 days skiing there in 2012. The snow was excellent but I found the terrain was kinda dull. A few too many gentle flatish runs for my liking. I'm glad I've been but its not on my list of places I'd return to.