I dunno, I think some people write reviews in a manner that suggests they are trying to convince others, and probably themselves too, that everything they have bought was the best decision. It comes out of the consumerist ideas of lifestyle and people defining themselves from stuff that they have bought. If that is your notion of self, then everything you buy becomes a personal decision.

For clothes, a lot of the short user reviews on backcountry.com mention the size, e.g., "I'm 5'11, 170lb and the medium was huge" which is actually useful info if you're buying online to save money.

Bit of a minefield isn't it.

Some of the BOOK NOW-esque like 'reviews' are so obvious you've got to wonder how the people who wrote them thought anyone would be taken in.

Or perhaps if people are stupid enough to be taken in.

But I reckon with a decent dosage of common sense it's fairly easy to shift through, if there's enough sample.

Searching forums is probably the best way to get good info on gear.

I have found that there tends to be more quality reviews for skis on the internet than for snowboards though. Has anyone else found that too?

People will actually post detailed and useful info about skis on forums whereas it is more superficial for boards. It is quite frustrating and I wonder why that is.

I guess actually demoing the planks you are considering buying blows reading reviews out of the water and then some anyway.

I agree with the above two. Its a minefield and maybe people convincing themselves they have made the best decision

Just did a quick check on the smith I/O goggles I purchased from checking reviews with the reviews at backcountry. The first review absolutely bags them while a lot (most) of the others reckon there great.

The doubts have crept in. Ugh

I dunno, I think some people write reviews in a manner that suggests they are trying to convince others, and probably themselves too, that everything they have bought was the best decision. It comes out of the consumerist ideas of lifestyle and people defining themselves from stuff that they have bought. If that is your notion of self, then everything you buy becomes a personal decision.

For clothes, a lot of the short user reviews on backcountry.com mention the size, e.g., "I'm 5'11, 170lb and the medium was huge" which is actually useful info if you're buying online to save money.

I do love a good review, but definitely guilty of that one. Its never a conscious thing. Its just that if you really want to like something, youll be more inclined to overlook its flaws. Capita and Bataleon for example. Both great brands of course, but although i was absolutely convinced that my airobic worked, the riot was never gonna happen. Which sorta reminds me of another flaw in reviewing: pseudo objectivity. The riot didnt work for me because i honestly dont ride anywhere near aggressive enough for it. Then again, i couldnt ride it aggressively enough because (now i think about it), the damn thing was hard as shit to figure out. If you went too fast itd lose stability and feel catchy. And i promise you, you dont want to catch that front edge flying down the steep part of skyline trying to impress all the noobs side sliding down it. You really dont. Three day concussion that one. THEN AGAIN, it was a 155 and i was about 82kgs with all my gear on... So many variables that it makes it damn near impossible for even the poor schmuck reviewing to know what agenda theyre working on.

I agree with most of what is being said.

I guess my point is that for the majority of other objects. Be it skis, movies, toe nail clipper or beer.

There is a third party website giving critiques and opinions that isn't attached to a shop.

http://www.ski-review.com/

http://www.mrqe.com/

http://www.thebeercritic.com/

( OK so i couldn't find a site on toe nail clippers.... and i'm sure you could find some flaws with the linked sites)

But with snowboards every review is either in a shop or a forum.

Why isn't there any independent reviews for snowboards and snowboard equipment?