just got a new board, Burton Fish, and wondering how long everyone usually leaves their wax on for the first wax of the season?

how about the first wax when you get a new board? does it make any difference?

i usually leave my wax on for about 8 hours and then scrape it off.

please advise me, i dont wanna mess up my new board before the snow has even fallen!!!

thanks in advance

Its actually best to heat it up multiple times. Leave the wax on till you are ready to ride and hit it with the iron as many times as you can be bothered between now and then.

from what i understand, unless you're a super race pro, sintered boards only need waxing a couple of times a season. especially when you're mostly floating on powder.

for an extruded base it isnt worth the effort, it peels away after 2 runs and you get laughed at by skiers passing you on the flat (extruded base skis dont exist afaik, and its finally become rare for snowboards now too)

prior to fancy polymer manufacturing techniques the bases werent flat enough, so needed frequent waxing for proper surface contact.

new boards/skis usually come with a thin layer of wax that you can get away with.

Ive had a new board turn sticky after an hour

Did it have a film on the base when you got it? I had one turn sticky as well but I think that was due to the film on the base when I bought it. The film was a promo on the type of board and its specs.

I generally only wax my boards at the start of the season, when we get into the spring melt and at the end of the season to stop the board from getting that white dried out look. Waxing at the end of the season also seems to help stop the edges from rusting.

I haven't seen and increased benifit from waxing them more.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit early Neck I do mine when I get there

I am there Seemore ;)

With a little luck, I may well be taking one of them up high for a few turns before this month is through!

Bit early Neck I do mine when I get there

I am there Seemore ;)

With a little luck, I may well be taking one of them up high for a few turns before this month is through!

Yeah I should pay more attn :)

• 2 months later...

Quick question. Should my base wax be for a lower or higher temperature than my top wax? At the moment I'm using gallium purple (-4~+3) but I think I'm gonna go to a blue (-12~-3) so is the purple ok for a base coat? or should I buy the blue extra base wax?