Unless you are professionally competing or it's really wet snow like at the end of season, I personally don't think you'd notice a difference.....by all means give it a go but for me, it's more work than it's worth :)

I just keep waxing it to protect the base somewhat. Whenever I see white on it, I'll hit it with a quick coat. I use the purple gallium almost exclusively since temperatures seem to hover here in that -4 +3 range, as well as good deals on rakuten funding my stock. I have about a kilo worth of the stuff so that should last me well into next season.

Quick question. Should my base wax be for a lower or higher temperature than my top wax? At the moment I'm using gallium purple (-4~+3) but I think I'm gonna go to a blue (-12~-3) so is the purple ok for a base coat? or should I buy the blue extra base wax?

I just made the switch from purple to blue (Gallium). Its lasting much better and I haven't needed to wax as much. But i guess it depend on where you are and what you are doing.