It might just be my own personal peeve but I dont rate the shiga kogen area for the main reason that the access road is an icy nightmare. Going up is usually ok, but snaking down a windy road slick with ice, behiend a looooooooong line of cars doing 15 km/h when you are knackered from going hard all day and your buddies are snoring in the back and youre tired... well 'nuff said. Take the bus if youre going or find another sucker to drive.

I dont think the resorts are all that either, shortish and average. Id way rather go to Hakuba, Nozawa or the ones in Nigata Im keen to try.

Just my 5c. Having said that I have been there early and late season as its higher than lots of other surrounding areas so holds the snow a bit longer. whatever this post is running away on me!

Just a warning about the gifu ski areas. The Tokai Hokuriku has bad traffic Jams. If you come this way On a Saturday, Sunday or long holiday it is better to leave at 3 at the latest. That means driving at 3.

Im not a fan of Sun alpina I would rather drive to Happo (great trees if you no where) Goryu 47 (even better trees) and last Cortina for the price, check their web page and you can get the discount ticket. 3800 yen for 1000 yen lunch, sento and ski. The sento is hudge and costs 1000 yen usally.

You know Ocey-babes - for all the bad things you say about the place, I have heard good things from some Japanese Saitama-ressie friends.

Apart from the fact that it opens early and late, the place seems to be a good trap for excellent snow. If my friends are right that is.

db, the worst thing is that is a good as it gets in Tassie for on-piste skiing/lift facilities etc. Ben lomond is a sick joke! That's why I surf in winter (f^&*&ing cold) in tassie rather than snowboard.

Boarding addict now I'm in Japan though, just brought a new board and boots last weekend, so this weekend.... I'm on it! (Big Hoot)

db Maaaate you have good taste. Yeah spent a lot of time at marrawah surfing Lighthouse, Mt Cameron, Kelpies etc, all over the show. How's the pub there eh? Had some absolute blinders, great place. Only went out at trial of couple of times, pretty heavy thick lips, can't beat west coast power. Also have surfed all up and down the east coast from Anson's Bay (north of Binnalong) to waaay down south. Haven't gone anywhere near oz's heavyest wave tho'

Mate I'd love to catch up with you for a natter as I have been following you progress with some interest. I think we have a bit in common. I'll drop you a private message with my contact details. Take it easy.

have been to Maranuma once and the snow was really good for mid-december but i have to say im with Oceans on this..once you pay the extra 1000 on top of the 4000 for the ticket and drive the extra minimum hour to the resort it is worth going to Neaba/Kag/Tash/Mits and getting equally good snow, more advanced lifts etc.