In our main living room, I'm having an alcove type area made, where the tv will go. By that I mean little wall areas sticking out on each side... and having some lights shining down from the ceiling into that space.

I want to do something more than just wallpaper for that area but can't decide on what to do.

The "siding" company we are using for the outside panels on our house actually now do interior wall things like that and some of them look really nice. Give a nice rugged feel rather than just a design on paper.

Other options are some kind of stone panel. But I have no idea where to find good info on that kind of thing, and my building company have no experience with it either --- they are so busy with all my other requests I'd rather not bother them with it just now!

Any ideas of good things to do with such a wall space? It'll be just over 2m wide and the height of the room so about 2.4m.

Thanks!

Your kidding arn't ya

4 concrete blocks a plank of wood - bung the telly on that and spend the savings on more important things like beer and lift tickets.

Carefull. you could end up like me. over-capitalised - this is my place but I am still scraping around for beer and lift tickets

guanaja_small.jpg

Some kind of modern minimal shelving with puck lights is nice.

Depends on what kind of alcove you have. Rock panel is nice for that 70's Brady bunch living room look. I think you also need a pretty wide area for horizontal rock panels to work. I don't think enough time has passed for rock to be considered retro and cool yet. It was done to death in the mid 70's.

Personally, I would go to a big bookstore and look at audio visual, home studio, and home theater specialty mags for ideas. Maybe incorporate a built in surround sound system.

Why not wallpaper the wall in a plain colour, but not the same as the rest of the room. Then hang a couple of nice paintings there.

Then if your tastes change you can change the paintings and make the room look different without a lot of expense. Or to be a little diferent instead of paintings, a couple of snow boards with nice grahics on them.

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I may be slightly inebrydrd, inebraided. pussed,but i aint no bum. Did yu nott see my flash house above

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I may be slightly inebrydrd, inebraided. pussed,but i aint no bum. Did yu nott see my flash house above

Well...then, may I suggest a long walk on your short pier....... :wave:

The obvious thing for the tokonoma you seem to have inadvertently created is a kakejiku.

'Course, then you have to find somewhere else to stick the TV.

Very good! I was thinking woodstove myself.

If that bit is for your tv, maybe some home cinema-approved type setup is in order. Bias lights from behind etc. instead of ceiling lights from above.