How many of the 50 signs of getting old apply to you?

1. Feeling stiff

2. Groaning when you bend down

3. Saying “it wasn’t like that when I was young”

4. Saying “in my day”

5. Losing hair

6. You don’t know any songs in the top ten

7. Getting more hairy – ears, eyebrows, nose, face etc

8. Hating noisy pubs

9. Talking a lot about joints / ailments

10. Forgetting people’s names

11. Choosing clothes and shoes for comfort rather than style

12. Thinking policemen / teachers / doctors look really young

13. Falling asleep in front of the TV

14. Needing an afternoon nap

15. Finding you have no idea what young people are talking about

16. Struggling to use technology

17. Losing touch with everyday technology such as tablets and televisions

18. When you start complaining about more things

19. Wearing your glasses around your neck

20. Not remembering the name of any modern bands

21. You avoid lifting heavy things due to back concerns

22. Complaining about the rubbish on television these days

23. Misplacing your glasses / bag / keys etc

24. You move from Radio one to Radio Two

25. You start driving very slowly

26. Preferring a night in with a board game than a night on the town

27. Taking a keen interest in The Antiques Road Show

28. You talk to colleagues who are so young they don’t know what an Opal Fruit is

29. Taking slippers to friends’ houses

30. Listening to the Archers

31. Falling asleep after one glass of wine

32. Never going out without your coat

33. Getting bed socks for Christmas and being very grateful

34. When you can’t lose six pounds in two days any more

35. Gasping for a cup of tea

36. Taking a flask of tea or coffee on a day out

37. Joining the WI

38. Taking a keen interest in the garden

39. Spending more money on face creams / anti-ageing products

40. Spending money on the home / furniture rather than a night on the town

41. Taking a keen interest in dressing for the weather

42. Putting everyday items in the wrong place

43. Obsessive gardening or bird feeding

44. Really enjoying puzzles and crosswords

45. Always driving in the slow lane, or below 70 in the middle lane

46. Consider going on a ‘no children’ cruise for a holiday

47. Your ears are getting bigger

48. Joining the National Trust

49. Drinking sherry

50. Feeling you have the right to tell people exactly what you are thinking even if it isn’t polite

Results

1 - 20 - You're young at heart but secretly love crosswords and use anti-ageing products just in case.

20 - 35 - You've started taking your tea in a flask out with you and can't stand Radio 1. Stay away from the sherry to keep feeling young.

35 - 50 - Now you have most of the ageing signs it's time to accept you probably aren't just growing old - you are old. Enjoy being warmer than everyone around you and tell them so.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no its soft chewy, fruity sweets....the world now knows them as Starburst. But they will always be known as Opal Fruits....made to make your mouth water

Always ate opal fruits when I were younger.

The lime flavour were my favourites.

How dare they change the name.

3 for me!

Thing is some of those listed things such as 36. bringing tea or coffee in a flask for a day out..... well I have done that since as long as I can remember.

I always drinks gallons of tea every day have done since a child, I am totally addicted to English tea to the point that I can not go a day without drinking tea.

So not a sign of getting older.

11. Except for my teenage and early 20's time I have always preferred comfort over style! Not really a sign of aging!

Can't be arsed counting them, but quite a few - One that was missed is "Given the choice of two entertainment outings, you choose the one that will get you home earlier"

Yeah, and before Thursday, TB and all chime in YES! I Am that old! :D

1. Feeling stiff -where?

2. Groaning when you bend down - The floor has moved further away!

3. Saying “it wasn’t like that when I was young” - well, it WASN'T!

4. Saying “in my day” - All of them!

5. Losing hair - NOPE! WooHoo!

6. You don’t know any songs in the top ten - Do they still have a top ten?

7. Getting more hairy – ears, eyebrows, nose, face etc - NOPE (again WooHoo!)

8. Hating noisy pubs - have done since I was old enough to drink - prefer my own company, always have.

9. Talking a lot about joints / ailments - roll another joint?

10. Forgetting people’s names - what's yer name again, young feller?

11. Choosing clothes and shoes for comfort rather than style - again, always have done. Some stuff I bought years ago has been "in fashion" several times since.

12. Thinking policemen / teachers / doctors look really young - When you think that i TAUGHT some of them, they ARE young!

13. Falling asleep in front of the TV - nope - never! (WooHoo = 3!)

14. Needing an afternoon nap - only after a glass of chardy with lunch! and only at weekends.

15. Finding you have no idea what young people are talking about - Surprise! THEY have no idea either!

16. Struggling to use technology - not as much as some youngsters (WooHoo = 4)

17. Losing touch with everyday technology such as tablets and televisions - Use both, and laptops etc in the house outnumber humans.

18. When you start complaining about more things - like?

19. Wearing your glasses around your neck - I find that putting them in front of my eyes works a whole lot better! (WooHoo = 5)

20. Not remembering the name of any modern bands - never been arsed to remember a band's name - most not worth remembering, anyway!

21. You avoid lifting heavy things due to back concerns - should be everyone's concern - back is not easy to fix once stuffed!

22. Complaining about the rubbish on television these days - Never been a while lot of good stuff - just more crap now than 30 years ago.

23. Misplacing your glasses / bag / keys etc - spend lots of time in the hereafter "what did I come in here after?"

24. You move from Radio one to Radio Two - pardon? What's this radio of which you speak?

25. You start driving very slowly - Caused by the idiot ahead driving slowly!

26. Preferring a night in with a board game than a night on the town - never been particularly partial to board games, much prefer active games (WooHoo=6)

27. Taking a keen interest in The Antiques Road Show - Pom reference, irrelevant!

28. You talk to colleagues who are so young they don’t know what an Opal Fruit is- Pom reference, irrelevant!

29. Taking slippers to friends’ houses - what are these "slippers" you speak of? (WooHoo=7)

30. Listening to the Archers- Pom reference, irrelevant!

31. Falling asleep after one glass of wine - takes at least 3 or 4 (WooHoo=8)

32. Never going out without your coat - only when it's cold! no coat needed when 30+deg out! (WooHoo=9)

33. Getting bed socks for Christmas and being very grateful - getting anything for Christmas is a bonus - grateful to have made it through another year!

34. When you can’t lose six pounds in two days any more - need to bet more heavily on losing nags - actually cannot lose pounds anymore, dollars is what they are (WooHoo=10)

35. Gasping for a cup of tea - cannot stand tea - much prefer my caffeine unadulterated with tannin. Coffee drinker from waaay back (WooHoo=11)

36. Taking a flask of tea or coffee on a day out - guilty, life's too short to risk havein crap coffee, and having to pay for the priviledge)!

37. Joining the WI- Pom reference, irrelevant!

38. Taking a keen interest in the garden - so, I was getting old at around 3years, then!

39. Spending more money on face creams / anti-ageing products - never spend a cent on that crap. growing old disgracefully! (WooHoo=12)

40. Spending money on the home / furniture rather than a night on the town - you bet! night on the town gives no return on investment.

41. Taking a keen interest in dressing for the weather - always been interested in the weather, silly not to know what to expect when you work outdoors

42. Putting everyday items in the wrong place - doesn't everyone do that occasionally?

43. Obsessive gardening or bird feeding - don't obsess over it, but enjoy being outside. (WooHoo=13)

44. Really enjoying puzzles and crosswords - nah, a session on the 'net is far more stimulating. (WooHoo=14)

45. Always driving in the slow lane, or below 70 in the middle lane - drive to the conditions OR at the speed limit, whichever is lowest. stupid not to, really! (WooHoo=15)

46. Consider going on a ‘no children’ cruise for a holiday - nothing to consider!! never a cruise person, too many loud obnoxious adults! (WooHoo=16)

47. Your ears are getting bigger - only appear so after a haircut (WooHoo=17)

48. Joining the National Trust - and force others to preserve old buildings at their cost! Not bloody lilkely! (WooHoo=18)

49. Drinking sherry - Sherry? what is this?

50. Feeling you have the right to tell people exactly what you are thinking even if it isn’t polite - always have had that right. Don't like it, toughen up, princess!

Edited by JA

Mate, don't waste what little time you have left with this list.

Go for walks, see the sunset on the beach, make your will and then seal it away.

Clean underwear every night from now on OK.

I've been noticing a change in my food tastes.....starting to prefer shio over tare at the yakitori, black tea and coffee instead of with milk n sugar for example. A sure sign I'm getting on

ya know... I'm certain I'm going through a serious phase of mid life crisis. The "what the hell, you only live once" mantra is headed for a straight on collision with my common sense "be responsible" side. Hard to say which side will win.

Mate, don't waste what little time you have left with this list.

Go for walks, see the sunset on the beach, make your will and then seal it away.

Clean underwear every night from now on OK.

With any luck, I have more time left than you do - but thanks for the advice.

Walks, hell, yeah! planning one around Uluru in September.

Sunset at beach? bloody long way to drive to get to see one of them! Sunrises is easier, planning to see a couple of hem in October.

Will? Been made for years - changed a couple times as circumstances changed, but it's d.o.n.e!

Underwear at night? Waffor? At risk of giving too much information, nothing on in bed, much more comfortable!

:p