If its done when the house is built easy enough if it is aftet then will be a real pain.

By the way not sure if this is important to you of course but did you ask to have a hot water pipe added for your washing machine.

That is something I asked for as here they only provide cold unless you ask.

Here's one!

Is it a big hassle for an electrician to set a light up so that 3 or even 4 switches control it?

Or is is easy peasy and takes 20 minutes kind of thing?

Cheers!

As siad, if done at design/build stage - easy peasy. If you want to retro-fit - it could easily turn into a right PITA.

We have a row of 5 LED downlights along the hallway. There are 3 switches for these - one at each end and one in the middle. Sparky was not fazed at all.

Thanks.

About hot water pipe to washing machine. No I didn't ask. Didn't think to. Good thing to ask though.

Do Japanese washing machines play nice with hot water though?

As far as I know. Ours has a cold and hot water pipe comnection so I assume most do as well.

Cant stand the fact clothes dont clean usng only cold water so that is why I have asked for hot water.

Happy with the foundations, snowdude?

Actually had a job come in which I had to attend to so changed it to monday to go have a look.

Wil/ let you monday.

snowdude can you tell me what washing machine you have perhaps?

Or anyone else that has a washing machine using hot or cold water.

Just looked mine has one suppy, and it's cold.

snowdude can you tell me what washing machine you have perhaps?

Or anyone else that has a washing machine using hot or cold water.

Just looked mine has one suppy, and it's cold.

Mine is a Hitachi and it is about 5 years old.

I only have one pipe going to it, but there is another place to connect another pipe, if I had another pipe to connect.

I think yours may also have, just that it has a cover over the place where you can put another pipe.

If it doesn't then you can just simply connect the hot water pipe to where the cold pipe goes if you got hot water tap too.

Not sure how the machine would control the temperature though.

As far as I know ours can't control how hot the water is, but we will be able to control the temperature from the controller in our new house.

I think you would also have to buy a more expensive machine that has a themostat control and other functions on it in order for the machine to be able to do it.

It doesn't affect which machine you can use, although my one doesn't regulate the temp.....but the boiler can. We only have 1 fitting for the pipe so we have to change to the hot pipe if we wanna use hot water. Before in Kanagawa, our machine was not hooked up to the boiler, just a tap so it was always cold. When I wanted to use hot water I just filled up from the sink

We have both hot and cold but the hot doesn't have a hose connected. Our clothes never get THAT dirty. Spot cleaner for stains or whatever and then in cold water is usually fine. Never felt the need for hot water.

Actually I just looked at our washing machine. One pipe going into it, but it's coming from a tap like this

tssk20(1).jpg

(not mine, found on the web!)

The warm one doesn't work though - perhaps having not being turned for however many years. I never noticed that. So presumably if both the hot and cold taps are working, I could simply turn off the cold and turn on the hot? As simple as that?

OK.

I have been talking with our builders.

The default, as you said snowdude, was just cold water.

But they have said they'll put both in there for us at no extra cost.

Luckily building not started yet*.

Thanks for mentioning that snowdude. I owe you one. Haven't thought it out properly, but having it there is definitely better than not.

* But bloody hell sometimes things seem to move so slowly. Been told it will be Thursday before there's any more action over there. But I'm assured we are not 'delayed'.

I'm just so fricking impatient!

Your welcome.

Dont forget once the foundations are finished they have to be left for a week or more for the concrete to harden properly.

Usually concrete is what is called green to start with as it is slightly greeny in colour until it hardens.

They are most probably waiting for that.

Actually I just looked at our washing machine. One pipe going into it, but it's coming from a tap like this with hot and cold

The warm one doesn't work though - perhaps having not being turned for however many years. I never noticed that. So presumably if both the hot and cold taps are working, I could simply turn off the cold and turn on the hot? As simple as that?

A bit of foce and it does work. Hot water if I want! :lol:

In easy words, how is a light set up that is controlled by, say, 4 switches?

No, let's say two lights, both controlled at the same time by the same 4 switches.

It'd look like ...

4054189306_c69e4405f6_o.giffor 2 switches and any number of lights (the lights are irrelevant, really, they just all sit in parallel between the active and neutral)

For more than 2 switches, you'd need DPDT switches intermediately ...

sorta like the following image ...

4-way-dimmer.gif

Thanks, Mr Google!

Edited by JA

I thought you wired lights off the same switches in parallel. In series, you'd split the voltage between them.

Yeah, you're right! My bad, trying to be quick with a response and stuffed up the basics.

I'll edit the original so it reads correctly!

Thanks for a sensible comment. :thumbsup: