Howdy SJ folks,

Wondering if anyone has any advice for staying in the Kagura ~ Naeba area. My wife and I are going to snowboard in that area next week and it'll be our first time to stay around there. Which are the best areas to stay? Any recommendations for accommodation? I've had a look around the SJ accommodation pages but nothing has really tickled my fancy.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers!!

Not much in Mitsumata, it's easy to stay in the main Yuzawa town area which is just 10-15 mins drive from Mitsumata Ropeway.

(Going by car?)

Edit that's for Kagura, Naeba is a bit further of course but still less than 30 mins.

Plenty options in Naeba village as well. Dunno what your budget is but there was a private apartment I've seen advertised, Naeba Powder Lodge...or something like that. Pics look good, wasn't too expensive IIRC and walking distance down the village to the bottom of Naeba resort

Yeah, we are driving there. We can go pretty much anywhere and don't mind staying a short distance from the hill. Which area is most convenient for getting around the ski hill, Mitsumata, Tashiro or Naeba?

As for budget, the cheaper the better :)

Yeah, we are driving there. We can go pretty much anywhere and don't mind staying a short distance from the hill.

In that case, I would stay in Yuzawa.

If you like tonkatsu, make sure you go to 'Ninjintei' which is just opposite the Yuzawa Kogen Ropeway station on the main onsen road.

Hire katsu teishoku is very nice with a massive Mega Jokki of beer.

:)

• Like 1

Hi BM - I think you will have a good week there should be quiet and still a base there by all accounts especially up at Kagura

I once stayed at the cafe/bar that is near the pair lift (that has or used to have night skiing also) probably a ten minute walk to the prince hotel on the Mt NAEBA side but for the life of me I can`t remember the name of the place. It was owned by a british guy and he could organise accomodation which he did for me and my then girlfriend. We stayed over new years for a great rate. If you can find out the name of the place I reckon go for that seeings you asked. Have a great time !

Thinking of trying Naeba tomorrow. Day trip, driving up the Kan-Etsu (Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid) from the Kita-Kanto.

Is it better to get off at Tsukiyono, or Yuzawa, on a Sunday morning?

And which way is better to come back in the evening?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah Snodeck closed a year or two ago.

I think BM, at this stage of the season, I'd stick with Kagura and Naeba. You could do Kags 1 day and Naeba the other. Theres no need to hurry across to both on the same day IMO

MO, remember I'm saying this as someone who doesn't know the horrors of the Kanetsu and don't do this myself, but generally....

Naeba - Tsukiyono

Kagura Mitsumata - Yuzawa

....I reckon. Correct me if that's not good advice someone else!

If you go the Tsukiyono way, and you like onsen manju, stop at Tasuke Manju and get some. They are yummy. Probs about 10-15 mins from the IC on the way, on the left. A fair few km before Sarugakyo.

:)

Cool, we found a place to stay. Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is another question, if you had 2 days would you spend both of them at Kagura/Naeba or would you go somewhere else as well?

To be honest, i dunno if kagura is worth it when its wet and slushy. I havent been out for a couple of weeks but assuming the sucky weather down here is repeated on the yamas, then kagura trees/chutes are going to be like treacle. Remember it can get pretty flat once you pass the bottom of the top lift into the top of the gondola. Naeba would probably be a better idea just because its got more fun terrain. Dunno how hectic itll be mind you, but as i said in the naeba review, its a lot less contingent on the weather delivering than kagura seems to be. Either way, remember youre seeing it at its crappiest. Its really when its swimming and no one else is there that its epic. :)

Yeah, I'm not really expecting it to be epic but if the forecast holds there should be cool weather and some fresh snow at least one of the days we are there. Fingers crossed as usual. It's always nice to check out a new place :)

I'm the opposite.....I don't think Naeba is that exciting, I'd choose Kagura over it. Maybe just cos I know Kagura better, it's trees and side slashes but anytime I've been to Naeba I haven't seen any easily poached runs like u have at Kagura

Good recommendation muika, I like Tasuke too.

They have a shop near Numata IC as well, but the one on the way to Sarugakyo/Naeba is better.

Lots of nice snacks as well.

:yummy:

Takuminosato craft village a bit further on it good too, I remember seeing your pics from there.