Perhaps this should go in the monkey thread.....

Archbishop Welby, the Anglican primate of All England, said the choice of a new pontiff was of "great significance to Christians everywhere, not least Anglicans".

I'd just love to be the guy that makes the smoke. Black smoke? White smoke??....na... I'd send up a rainbow of colours just to f*** with all the people waiting outside.

That would probably tell them the new Pope is gay. ;)

Interesting that they have chosen a fairly old dude who is super conservative rather than rolling with a younger dude more likely to hang around for a while with a more progressive attitude that might bring some tolerance and honesty.

an interesting tidbit in the grauniad.

Battered first by a widespread rebellion against compulsory celibacy – more than 100,000 priests were dispensed from their vows to marry in the seventies and Eighties before John Paul II made it almost impossible as part of his more general crackdown on liberalism – and then by the reputational damage of the abuse scandals, the clergy had dwindled and aged at astonishing speed.

The average age of American priests has risen from 34 to 64. The whole of England and Wales produces fewer priests a year than almost any single Anglican diocese. Seminaries have closed all over the Western world. A very high proportion of the remaining clergy are thought by qualified observers to be gay, if often celibate.

Thats actually rather astonishing. Youd think they might want to look at that. Not many 969 year olds knocking about these days.

Interesting that they have chosen a fairly old dude who is super conservative rather than rolling with a younger dude more likely to hang around for a while with a more progressive attitude that might bring some tolerance and honesty.

Fact is they don't want them to hang about for too long, just in case they are truly weird (as opposed to just a bit weird!) remember what happened to one who rocked the boat - not sure of names as they don't rate in my world. And, of course, there are not that many youngsters in the priesthood.