Killer robots must be stopped

Killer robots must be stopped, say campaigners

A new global campaign to persuade nations to ban "killer robots" before they reach the production stage is to be launched in the UK by a group of academics, pressure groups and Nobel peace prize laureates.

Robot warfare and autonomous weapons, the next step from unmanned drones, are already being worked on by scientists and will be available within the decade, said Dr Noel Sharkey, a leading robotics and artificial intelligence expert and professor at Sheffield University. He believes that development of the weapons is taking place in an effectively unregulated environment, with little attention being paid to moral implications and international law.

The Stop the Killer Robots campaign will be launched in April at the House of Commons and includes many of the groups that successfully campaigned to have international action taken against cluster bombs and landmines. They hope to get a similar global treaty against autonomous weapons.

"These things are not science fiction; they are well into development," said Sharkey. "The research wing of the Pentagon in the US is working on the X47B [unmanned plane] which has supersonic twists and turns with a G-force that no human being could manage, a craft which would take autonomous armed combat anywhere in the planet.

---

A killer robot, yesterday:

A-scene-from-the-2003-fil-010.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this should be addressed by adding a 4th rule to the 3 laws of robotics:     A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot mu

I wonder what the killer robots think of this. I am sure that they could be reprogrammed to rescue cats from trees or something.

Whatever the outcome, I am sure that the solution will involve some kind of dome.

You may well be right surfarthur.

The problem I can forsee is that, as per documented evidence going under the title 'Terminator', these things may get out of hand and they take control and start looking on humans as their enemy.

Historical/future evidence is a bit hazy and muddled but it would seem that we can definitely conclude that the human race is doomed.

Perhaps someone should do something about the scientist folk who are nurtiring these 'killer robots' right now this minute.

There's one thing that's certain and that this is a real concern.

Well looks like the Terminator movies are not so far fetched after all.

When you hear about the technology they have such as successfully fixing a mechanical arm on a person which

works as good as the real thing and computers that can actually think for themselves it is both an interesting and daunting thought especially if they really do end up like terminators.

I'm with you there, kokodoko-san.

That's a top idea.

It's actually what they did in the Terminator documentaries, but even then things go complicated.

The problems we face in a modern world.

My biggest concern is robots walking up before first lifts and tracking out the resort.

I think this should be addressed by adding a 4th rule to the 3 laws of robotics:

• A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.
  • A robot may not ski or snowboard, or otherwise enjoy snowplay, before lunchtime

• Like 1