Was up at Kagura yesterday and well can anyone tell me why the very top lift at Kagura is closed? Closed so much that there isn't even a trail to get to it.

What is up there?

That run is ALWAYS closed until 'spring ski' season when they open it up and get the lift moving. When I asked them a couple of years ago, the response I got was "too much snow to open that run/lift". But it does happen each season - won't be open until maybe end of March/April.

Well, lets think of possible reasons, shall we? I'm sure this will raise blood pressure levels amongst some of you - maybe why I'm offering these feeble reasons.. \:\) , but here goes:

- Too much snow for the lift to operate in the main season;

- Too many problems with unstable snow or other related danger problems with the amounts of snow that falls up there;

- Not worth the huge work possibly involved in preparing the way to / the courses / etc for the 'main' season (and possibly that area was planned as a 'spring ski' are initially for some reason);

- As above, just planned that way

I don't know - same for all of us. I'm sure some of them comments will get ripped apart on here - go ahead. But the fact is that lift and run is a 'spring season' one it seems. I've never known them to open it until fairly late in the season.

Perhaps we should ask them? SJ?

My comments to your suggestions.

1. The lift was visible and the snow level did not appear to be much more than the rest of the mountain. (Granted I did not walk to the lift and check.)

2. Quite possible, but is it not one of the jobs of the patrol to work these safety issues by avvie bombs etc.

3. If this is the case then it would be nice for Kagura to post something stating this at the ticket booth so you have the decision to put down the money or not on the lift ticket. (Nothing apparent anywhere in this regard and nothign more than a sign saying Tachiiri Kinshi. I add here that there was at least 100+ people hiking in with snowshoes to this area.)

4. Refer above.

I don't mind the lifts being closed for particular reasons. What I object to is not being told this when purchasing tickets or at any other time on the mountain.

It is just me or does anyone else see the irony in the "too much snow" excuse from a ski/board resort?

And not intended to be one either. Just trying to put an issue on the table for open discussion.

Afterall I work to afford to ski and I don't like seeing my good lift yens going to waste without prior notice!

They had an avalanche on the run 7-8 years ago and they are closed most of the time. I have seen the chair running only in Spring and even then only a few times. Last weekend there were AG tours and saw a group of 40 hiking up there. A buddy of mine and I hiked up to Kagura peak and did the powder run towards Tashiro area. The snow was just fine both Sat and Sun.

For me I prefer that the lift is closed. That way only those who is willing to earn the turns will enjoy.

May be there were separate groups of 40 each.

They were obviousely back country newbies on a guided tour. The hike up was like a traffice jam on Kanetsu Sunday night. Yes, my car is a bugger green MB SUV, how did you know?

Oh, I guess you guys were in a black car?

In the morning at the ticket booth, there were 3 people with different tour company flags, and out come the herd of people with BC gear. Never seen such a huge group in Kagura before.

Kagura is notorious for having a high wind at the top sometimes. I always call for lift status and the weather before I go. Nothing like finding the half of the place is closed when you get there.

Well I was up there a few days ago and I didn't see any signs explaining about that top part being closed, but it was marked on a map of the course layout (but without an explanation as to why).

Quote:
Originally posted by joshnii:
Well I was up there a few days ago and I didn't see any signs explaining about that top part being closed, but it was marked on a map of the course layout (but without an explanation as to why).
Do you mean the lift closure was indicated on the course map? Or do you mean that the lift was indicated on the course map with no notice of closure?

Just noticed that the Kagura website is using

a couple of riders hiking off-piste (I'm assuming) for the main photo on their website:

http://www.princehotels.co.jp/ski/kagura/index.html

I'd love to email them in Japanese and ask them about their off-piste policies, if they have any back-country tours, etc.

Actually, would love to have a one-page list of contact email addresses for other resorts as well. SnowJapan guys, maybe another asset to add to this already fantastic website?

I believe I put this up on some other thread, but here you go again. I see these guys guiding a bunch of guests (some look really novice with regular ski outfits) at Kagura all the time.

http://www.adventure-guides.co.jp/

Under Club Adventure

It also looks the do rent equipment, too. This is a very good way to be intro. to back country and meet others with the same interest.