Ive seen both and was surprised on Saturday to see a particularly advanced in age patroller unstrapping from his board at Nozawa. But mostly on skis, I guess its hard to get someone down in a sled if you aint snowplowing it.

zwelgen, it may even be easier to snowplough on a snowboard - you've only got one edge, and a big one at that, to think about. There are plenty of pics around on the net of boarders moving rescue boats about...

Patrol on boards not seen.

@ Tenjindaira there seems to be quite a lot of Patrollers on boards..saying that there seems to be lots of boarders. If you want quality backcounty, this is the place to go but I dont recommend anything to dangerous without avy gear and a few mates. The patrollers are anal about anything close to the resort but seemed happy to recommend 1-1 1/2 hikes to 'rockies' quality lines where they have low slide risks. If your Japanese is poor, go with someone who has an adequate level.

Quote:
Originally posted by zwelgen:
 Quote:
Originally posted by xxx:
How old zwelgen?
Hard to say but Id put him over 40, mid 40s even perhaps
:cough: :cough:

At my (just reading back, it sounds like I own it \:D ) resort, there are a few patrollers on boards, but mainly the mountain assistance.

A patroller who posts on Sno Info reckons that it works best with a skier at the front and a boarder at the back of an akja or banana boat. The skier can provide slightly better steering, while the boarder can provide far better speed control than a skier.