The thread on jackets go me thinking. What do you wear when you go out on the slopes?

Are you into the latest fashion, or like me, wear an 8 year out jacket brought at the outlet mall. (a very good Columbia jacket with a zipped in thermal fleece jacket, however the colours are dark green and black, not that fashionable)

I'm also interested in what is under that fashion statement. What do you wear under your jacket to keep warm. I wear a couple of layers of heat tech from Uni Qlo. (note if you wear your old granddads woolen underwear please don't tell us) The heat tech works well, but if anyone has a better solution I'm interested in hearing it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wear either my 2year old ski jacket or trousers or my 6 year old one depending on my mood.My boots are about 6 years old too and still going strong. My skis 3 years old I think. Im not into buying

I have Ocean and Earth under garments and normal undies (although I have a burton longsleeve for this trip).   Long socks normal ones (although I have Burton ones for this trip)   Special Blend

I'm naked....always.....cos I'm gnarly!!   Isn't everyone?!

I wear either my 2year old ski jacket or trousers or my 6 year old one depending on my mood.My boots are about 6 years old too and still going strong.

My skis 3 years old I think.

Im not into buying the latest fashion at all and as all my gear is still in tip top shape I see no reason to change it especially my boots which I had custom adjusted to suit my foot.

• Like 1

I have Ocean and Earth under garments and normal undies (although I have a burton longsleeve for this trip).

Long socks normal ones (although I have Burton ones for this trip)

Special Blend Jacket (Green. Blue and White Diamonds) and Flouro Green Pants (very loud this year but as my kids said it's Japan so anything goes)

And of course Helmet and Balaclava

• Like 1

Bottom up.

Ski socks that hurt my lower leg hairs

M&S Boxers

Columbia ski pants

Killy top next to skin

Killy ski jacket

Helmet

Goggles

Columbia gloves

One top and one jacket, plenty even for Hokkaido.

Top - from skin out - Merino thermal - 100 weight micro fleece - S.O.S. softshell Jacket rated 20,000 breathable and 20,000 waterproof

Bottom - underchunders, Columbia Titanium pants (go fast green colour)

I have a pair of goret-tex mountaineering style overpants with bib and braces which I've had for about 12 years that are still going strong. Under them I have thermals. Up top I have a long sleeved thermal, a soft shell jacket and then a gore-tex shell jacket. Most stuff that can be used just as readily hiking, mountaineering or skiing. Not sure I can remember the brand of any clothing I own. Pretty sure I bought the pants at Patagonia all those years ago. A mate of mine used to be a store manager and got me a good discount. The thermals are probably from there as well. The jacket I got in Japan but I honestly can't remember where. Could have been Mont Bell in Sapporo. Soft shell I got from Costco in Sapporo. I couldn't care less about fashion in my daily life and that extends to being on the slopes. Most of my skiing over the years has been backcountry anyway where being stylish is a complete waste of time. It's always function over fashion.

Have just retired an old Burton AK down jacket and my 6yo Gush pants (30k waterproof, kept me dry really well) for some new high mm/gm stuff from Rakuten. New salomon synapse boots to replace worn 6yo ones, smith i/ox goggles to replace old scratched Oakley ducati wisdoms and some Aldi snow socks and compression skins.

Who really gives a tinker's cuss if you look good on the slopes? Considering the amount of old guys I see wearing 80's fluoro gear and no-name goggles, I'd say they don't particularly care either. That latest style jacket will be superceded next year, and if doesn't keep you warm, then it's failed in its basic function.

Bottom, skins and aldi snowboard pants (cheap and cheerful, warm and only $40-3200¥)

Top, Marino thermal, t-shirt, burton hemisphere jacket if its cold or a Kathmandu gortex ski shell if its warm.

The only colour I don't like on snow is white...especially if we are decked out top to toe in white (which I saw a few times in Europe!).

You are not all that visible...

My current choice of attire is:

Lululemon sports crop bra (very important piece of kit for a girl ;) )

Mons base layer 3/4 tights and long sleeve top (I'm over being cut short in the arms and body length, this one is cut long, but zero need for thermals where your socks go!)

If its bitter I might whip out the heavy icebreaker thermal too and pants instead.

Socks - the thinnest thermal socks I can find (feet stay warmer that way...)

A bright LMFAO t-shirt with HEY on the front if its not bitterly cold.

A hot pink Mammut Midlayer if it's brass monkeys weather.

Purple snowboard pants I bought in Japan, need replacing before long.

Black Mammut Jacket with Hot Pink furry lining (it's warm!) bought in Grindelwald

Helmet - pearlised white with lace

Hot pink/patterned polar buff

Black GLOVES, the kids are into using mittens - can not get into that at all!

Ive got two tops and two bottoms. First one is bright yellow volcom pants. Really low waterproofing - 5k? I feel like a pillock in them. Very rarely wear them. Theyre supposed to go with my 2010 blue snaggletooth jacket on early/late season (8k).

Other set up is 4sq adams jacket - 15k i think. And cord patterned quicksilvers. Also really low at 5000. Possibly why i have a wet ass typing this. Pretty much felt like i was being rained on today.

Plenty of hoodies and jackets but keep jackets for work days. Either way, plenty of color, kinda baggy style. Pretty much clown throw up.