The New Zealand inventors of zorbing have described the death of a father-of-two at a Russian ski resort as "very troubling".

And Zorb Ltd, which has developed the adventure sport of rolling downhill in a transparent plastic inflatable ball which originated in New Zealand in 1994, is now calling for a global code of safe operations to try and stamp out cowboy operators.

Mirroring the other Kiwi thrill-seeking sport of bungy jumping, zorbing's commercial success has spawned worldwide copycats.

"Unfortunately, when you have a new adventure sport like this come out, especially in developing countries, you tend to see a lot of people not following any form of regulation," Zorb Ltd chief executive Hope Horrocks.

Horrifying home video footage of the January 3 accident has captured the final moments of 27-year-old Denis Burakov.

It shows Mr Burakov and friend Vladimir Shcherbov, 33, who survived the incident, climb into the giant inflatable ball before being pushed down a ski-field.

As they got into the giant ball, a friend with the video camera is heard saying, "Denis, you'll be like Jackie Chan in the Armour of God movie!", reports the Daily Mail.

But the 'orb' soon leaves the groomed ski trail.

A man's voice is heard saying, in Russian, "Oh f***, it's gone in the wrong direction again."

It careers left and right, with the male voice screaming: "Hold it, hold it! Hold!", and then "Ah well, it's OK, it'll stop by itself."

It teeters on the edge of a rocky ravine, before disappearing down Ganachhirskiy Gorge at Dombai resort complex in the North Caucasus mountain range.

Once it goes out of view, the friend filming the ordeal asks: "What's going on there?"

"A catastrophe," someone says, and the footage is halted.

"The orb went on for about 1.5kms, jumping on the rocks and hitting them," a local police spokesman said.

Mr Burakov, from Pyatigorsk, was still alive but he died on the way to hospital, the Mail reports.

An investigation has been launched into criminal negligence causing death on the part of the extreme sports organisers.

Meanwhile, Zorb Ltd, which runs the popular Zorb Rotorua site, is trying to piece together what happened for itself.

285350-zorbing-death.jpg

Well actually I had just taken it out myself before I read your comments as I thought someone might say that.

I'm not sure it changes anything, but all the same - don't want to offend.

:friend:

But... having said that, it was hardly graphic was it?

Unless there was more at the very end before I stopped watching.

Perhaps I should delete the photo? Or the thread completely? Is it appropriate to even talk about it?

Well actually I had just taken it out myself before I read your comments.

I'm not sure it changes anything, but all the same - don't want to offend.

:friend:

But... it was hardly graphic.

Unless there was more at the very end before I stopped.

Perhaps I should delete the photo? Or the thread completely? Is it appropriate to even talk about it?

It's appropriate but unfortunately I watched the video on another site, thinking it would be an example of zorbing but alas not. It was a video of what happened.

Pretty crazy really, I would have thought they would be using a half pipe, or at least not be doing it near the edge of a cliff.

I watched it not realizing it was a guy who died inside - vid shows how it plays out, not graphic but rams home the message about thinking through possible outcomes and risks. Seriously, the majority of people standing at the top and surveying the possible fall lines would ask a few questions - but a professional extreme sports company is running it so some may simply assume the risk assessment has been done and the loose ends tied up. Not so in this case.

I couldn't see the entire bobsled track at La Plagne before I pushed off, I couldn't verify that there wasn't a section missing or a flaming inferno at the end - but I trusted that we were doing something run by a professional operator on an Olympic track that people were queuing up for, and the risk was low, and as stated.

The operator is liable, and should be punished severely for selling such a dangerous 'product', especially given there was a history of incident.

oh f***, it's gone in the wrong direction again

The New Zealand inventors of zorbing have described the death of a father-of-two at a Russian ski resort as "very troubling".

And Zorb Ltd, which has developed the adventure sport of rolling downhill in a transparent plastic inflatable ball which originated in New Zealand in 1994, is now calling for a global code of safe operations to try and stamp out cowboy operators.

I dunno if that fellow died in something made by Zorb Limited, but this sounds like an admission that they've been selling theirs without a "global code of safe operations". If I'd lost a member of my family in this way, I'd also want people to call it something a bit stronger than "troubling".

I went and watched the video and its horrendous. It simply looks like an accident waiting to happen.

I watched the video too. It looks like there was a guy waiting at the bottom who was meant to catch the Zorb. Pretty ****ing ridiculous set up actually. Whoever decided that set up should be in prison.

yeah I thought it was ridiculous as well. It IS Russia though

They should have had Putin there. He would have stopped it!

Not sure where they got the idea that the Zorb only orignated in 1994?

This film from 1983 has a Zorb like ball in it briefly at around 1 minute in.

Cool old school vid! Bet the guy shat himself when he crashed into the train! :)

Those mono skis look a surefire way to broken ankles

I just don't know how any possibly survived shooting the film. None are wearing helmets!!! :omg: