Just caught a very short version on the tv this morning...

Does anyone know more about a report of an elementry school child's death at a slope here in Japan somewhere because they got tangled in a rope - like a rope used to "rope off" an area ???????

Sounds tragic and raises BIG questions about safety, chaperones etc..,

Yep I read that in the paper this morning. It said an 8 year old girl skied into a rope at 1-1.2m height and strangled herself and died. It didnt say anything about the rope being caught around her neck though... She was "found" so I guess the munter at the front of her skischool "worm" didnt realise she wasnt there. I have a feeling it was in hokkaido? Will have to check the paper at lunch.

Now what I dont understand is that being my ultra-coordinated self I have clotheslined myself a few times ducking under ropes and although I felt like a complete and utter idiot (and indeed was)and had a bit of a sore neck the first time and a sore face on the other occasion, it wasnt anything enough to kill me, and I hit it at a decent speed too. Im wondering if she knocked herself out and suffocated in some pow or something else happened.

bad bad bad \:\(

OK quoting the newspaper

"AKITA - An 8 year old girl died in hospital Tues after being found unconscious on a ski slope in Yasbimamachi Akita Pref police said.

Kaori Sato...was found lying on her back in the northern section of the Chokai Kogen Yashima Snow Area by a resort employee.

Police think the girl was accidently strangled by a rope marking off the ski and snowboard courses. Kaori suffered a fatal spinal injury, and there were lacerations on her neck caused by the rope, the police added.

Kaori had reportedly been skiing with 12 other members of a local Jr winter sports club and 2 qualified volunteers.

The marker rope had been erected at a height of 1 to 1.2m"

sounds like a yeti got her if you ask me. (in very poor taste I know)