I want to take a little vacation this winter break and do some boarding at someplace outside of my usual Gunma and Yuzawa resorts. My wife and baby will also be coming along, so I would like to stay somewhere that is an onsen town as well as interesting enough for someone to not be bored all day waiting for their husband to come off the mountain. The first two places that came to mind for me were Mt. Myoko and Shiga Kogen, but I am open to suggestions as long as the place isn't too far maybe Niigata, Nagano, Gifu, Fukushima, Miyagi or Yamanashi. Any imput would be appreciated. Are there onsen around Hakuba?

I swear its not because i keep talking about it, but really nozawa onsen. Shiga is too spread out to be fun for your S.O. Maybe the monkeys stomping all over peoples carsin the morning is kinda fun, but really once youve seen that its just walking about among a few chalets restaurants and not that much else. I mean you can get a bus and go about but honestly its just more chalets and restaurants. theres nothing that great about it unless youre skiing it (aside the aforementioned monkeys trampling and pooping on everyones cars).

Myoko has akakura area, but again, not much else. And fun and pretty though it is, (especially at night when its been snowing (i have this memory in my head of gorgeous deep orange and pink lights mixed in with the snow making it feel so perfectly beautiful)), its not THAT interesting.

Nozawa on the other hand if you time it right, is genuinely a nice place to walk around. Theres onsen everywhere for the brave, theres beautiful scenery all over it, some small museums and a nice cute little town in the midst of it all. Its just the kind of place you might want to wander about. I dont really know about actual amenities, but im sure that it has a few you can just chill out and luxuriate around. Beats sitting in the cafe at akakan by the gondola waiting for your mate to get on with it. We do often travel with a S.O. that doesnt ski/board and so far nozawa has got the most thumbs up. She particularly loved the fact theres a little dude on a snow scooter pulling you from nagasaka to hikage :)

+2 for Nozawa for faffing around the village - It is fascinating watching the old ladies cooking their vegies & eggs (and washing their socks) in the original open air hotsprings as their relo's have been doing since the 13th century.

I agree nozawa. Good range of accommodation to suit all budgets. Nice village to wander around particularly the cooking onsen area with shops , shrines ,some really old traditional homes, and a very good coffee shop there. Heaps of onsens public and private and plenty of restaurants to explore. The mountain is worth it also.

My opinion way better than hakuba or Myoko.

I heard that Mt Granview were taking reservations for next season. And already booking up quickly. Book Now! to avoid any disappointment.

Alternatively, I like the vibe of Nozawa but I'm not mad keen on the mountain. I prefer a more compact place, Nozawa seems stretched out over a huge area and tons of travelling to get places.