Hi there, i'll land in Niseko on february, and i'm doing all my homeworks already... checking near places for daily trips and stuff.

I was planning to go to Weiss for one or two days of cat skiing, being a dirty cheap bargain, i read on the web it's like 6500yen, but today on Niseko Tourism's facebook i found out a new society acquired the resort and the daily price raised insanely at 35000yen!!

I'm sure they have a hella lot better services and stuff, but it's still 5/6 times the old price.

Can some of you confirm that? Do you know if there's any other cheap cat skiing operation out there?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't bother, weiss is flat and boring. On a nice day you can see it from high up on the hanazono side of mt niseko-annupuri and you will see what I mean.

well, i was fashinated by the bargain price, but at 35000yen i can deff live without it ;)

I wouldn't bother, weiss is flat and boring. On a nice day you can see it from high up on the hanazono side of mt niseko-annupuri and you will see what I mean.

Some good gullies and steeper pitches too.

But the reason to do a day catskiing at Weiss is to have the views, the sense of space, and to ski 'think free' slopes covered in powder all day.

As mike said only time will tell but 6500 was way too cheap Cats are expensive both to buy and maintain.

35000 seems about the norm for cat sking. Your first day in a cat and you wont hit any really great slopes.

The guides will not trust your word at all. So for a one day cat I think it isnt priced badly.

The price isn't really that different from what you pay in the States.

Went in Canada last year and I think they charged us around $500 per person for the day.

Right, coz cat skiing in the Rockie mountains is pretty comparable to cat skiing at Niseko Weiss... :lol:

I'm not asking from their point of view though, Mike, I mean from the customers POV. You guys are bound to know roughly what terrain they'd be using.....is it worth the 35k?

For much less than 35,000 yen per person customers can experience better terrain and comparable, if not better, snow by going with a 'guiding' outfit based in the Niseko Resort Area.

What you can't guarantee is that no one else will be sharing that terrain and snow.

For many customers, the scarcity and exclusivity of the product more than justifies the price.

Otherwise the various cat and heli-ski operations around the world would have gone the way of the dinosaur years ago.

An isolated example, but an example nonetheless, I had a customer who skied the Niseko Resort Area for a week last February, then went to Canada to heli-ski with CMH for a week, then came back to Niseko for a week.

The best terrain and snow was in Niseko not heliskiing. And at a fraction of the price.

The price isn't really that different from what you pay in the States.

Went in Canada last year and I think they charged us around $500 per person for the day.

Right, coz cat skiing in the Rockie mountains is pretty comparable to cat skiing at Niseko Weiss... :lol:

For some cat skiing operations yes.

For example, Monarch Snowcats in Colorado.

...but they only charge $275US for the day... not $500 or ¥35,000($420US). It's also $1300 more expensive to rent the cat. The terrain looks quite different too.

Thought we were discussing terrain not cost.

Having skied both, they're more similar than they are different.