How difficult is Kurodake & Asahidake for Beginner boarders?

Hi all,

I read on powder hounds that Kuro and Asahidake are not for beginners, how difficult are those 2 places? Possible to toe edge and heel edge down till you get comfortable? Looking to visit early December. Please comment, thanks!

In comparison, I have only been to red runs, which is steep for me.

Asahidake is definitely not for beginners. Nothing about it is beginner friendly. The top lift above the ropeway at Kurodake accesses a pretty easy slope that a beginner would manage to get down as long as they are not a complete, 1st timer type of beginner. It's damned cold up there though so not the best place to be a beginner. Certainly wouldn't recommend either place for complete beginners. Great places for sightseeing though if it's clear.

At Asahidake there are only 2 groomed runs down from the top of the ropeway from memory. They both are reasonably narrow, have steep bits, flat bits and a little uphill section. None of which are easy for a beginner. Plus it's cold. The base of Asahidake is around 1000m and tops out at 1600m. In Hokkaido that's putting you up into some really cold temps and the top of the ropeway is often quite windy and cloudy. All conditions that don't make it easy for someone who is struggling to get down the hill and falling over lots. And it's not a ski resort. It's a tourist ropeway that is much more popular in the greener months than in winter and base facilities are extremely limited. So for a beginner who may want to only ski part of the day there's little to do at the base. It's awesome for those who love off-piste and sidecountry. In my opinon you'd really want to be reasonably advanced to expert to consider going there.

@Mama

Skiing Kurodake - I don't think the beginner ski area is open that often (closed mid winter?). Boarding involves a long hike up towards the peak.

April would be the best time to attempt it, early on a blue ski day with perfect weather. It can be very nice.

From the end of the chair you can hike up towards the peak but it would be difficult to get to the top without proper equipment (split board, skis with AT bindings).

Take note of the warning signs & don't head too far skiers right (from memory).

Experts would also ski back down under the cable car, but you can encounter cliff bands down there if you don't know the way.

As GN said the wind can get quite threatening and it's a really old & rusted cable car to come back on - we didn't bother hanging around on our only visit in Feb (too extreme).

Check out Tomamu (a bit upmarket like Rusutsu Resort) & Kamui, the opposite with basic services - but on a powder day ...

Agree with other posters on Asahidake....you're not ready...in fact, I think you'd be miserable to the point of putting you off skiing. Just go to Pippu, Kamui or Santa Present Park and have a good time.

Agree with other posters on Asahidake....you're not ready...in fact, I think you'd be miserable to the point of putting you off skiing. Just go to Pippu, Kamui or Santa Present Park and have a good time.

Santa Present Park?! :lol: Japan sure does have some interesting names for ski jos

I think he's a boarder, so he'd be kosher with the skiing bit.

Yep taking the far right drainage from the peak will strand you on top of some cliffs.

The terrain under the cable car is SICK though, and well protected snow due to trees and steep slope.. Again, need to know where to go.

Agree with everyone else, neither place is beginner friendly - and why is this thread in the avvy and BC section?

Yep taking the far right drainage from the peak will strand you on top of some cliffs.

The terrain under the cable car is SICK though, and well protected snow due to trees and steep slope.. Again, need to know where to go.

Agree with everyone else, neither place is beginner friendly - and why is this thread in the avvy and BC section?

which mountain are you referring to?

Man, that's depressing, I mean

Asahidake is definitely not for beginners. The top lift above the ropeway at Kurodake accesses a pretty easy slope that a beginner would manage to get down as long as they are not a complete, 1st timer type of beginner. It's damned cold up there though so not the best place to be a beginner.

But Thanks for the good info. Well, I'm not a Complete beginner but as far as snowboard is concern alittle. I might try for ski's but looking at the Piste map for Kurodake, it looks like a miserable 1 Green line and plenty of black and red runs! :rolleyes:

I suppose that means I should only go to Kamui and maybe Pippu.

Pippu is good? :confused:

Pippu is good, but small.

It's super cheap too.

I would recommend Pippu for a beginner.

No gondola at pippu though, just chairlifts.

If it's puking snow, you'll get cold sitting on the chairs.

Oh, and Santa Present Park really does exist.

Ya...this should be in General Snowtalk for all to see and enjoy...

which mountain are you referring to?

bump