Christmas Party (Perth People)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes yes...we must do better   MB, PB, Gareth_O and his better half are among the current confirmed revelers. (Also a few non SJers, who are nonetheless dedicated skiers).   There will be much r

I don't think the pig will mind.

But seeing something like that is enough to make me go veggie.

I can't get pleasure out of seeing the pig like that somehow.

There were a few confronting moments, I'll admit, but it was certainly a talking point.

If you are happy to eat a pork schnitzel there's not a lot of difference except in the dish presentation.

This was the first little piggie we have ever spit roasted and we weren't sure how it would go - but the night was a success and the piggie well enjoyed - I was happy with that.

If you are happy to eat a pork schnitzel there's not a lot of difference except in the dish presentation.

Obviously.

Still doesn't change how I would feel though.

I don't think the pig will mind.

Nope - dead already!

But seeing something like that is enough to make me go veggie.
What??

I can't get pleasure out of seeing the pig like that somehow.
Kidding, right? All cooked and ready to eat? How did we manage to get to the top of the food chain on land with wimpish ideas like that?

Yummy!

167416_4614221727330_1583692156_n.jpg

Great bunch of ski/board enthusiasts.

Excellent array of food and drinks (everyone brought something, so it was brilliant!)

Lots of laughter, and a fair bit of Japow love!

My pooches love me this morning, fat bellies fed on left over piggie including the less desirable bits.

Never seen them so excited over food!

Yum!

That must be the oz recipe for spit roasting.

I would've kept the skin intact and final glaze it in honey to make it crackly.

Ooooohhhhh. That sounds nice!

As I said - complete first timer at pig spit roasting, I had no idea what I was doing.

It was dressed with EVOO and Sea Salt with cloves of garlic and small wedges of lime shoved into little pockets randomly.

It worked.

A honey glaze does sound enticing though...

This is a suckling pig usually served at wedding banquets as the first course.

The skin is basted with boiling water and honey mixture to coat the skin evenly and then hung over night. It is then roasted with a final basting of honey water mixture before serving. The skin is crispy and goes with hoi sin sauce and shreds of spring onions.

Ignore those teapots. Its beer or wine or you would've wasted the darling little babe.

1172905070roastsucklingpig.jpg

It's the same place.

New name.

Same place, not new name. De-Anglicised name. Peking, 北京, is what the Brits called it 'cos it sounds like the Cantonese way of saying it. Beijing is Mandarin phonetic, meaning Northern Capital. Nanjing is Southern Capital, 南京. Tokyo is Eastern Capital, 東京

It's the same place.

New name.

Same place, not new name. De-Anglicised name. Peking, 北京, is what the Brits called it 'cos it sounds like the Cantonese way of saying it. Beijing is Mandarin phonetic, meaning Northern Capital. Nanjing is Southern Capital, 南京. Tokyo is Eastern Capital, 東京

Interesting.

I was aware that it occurred as the Brits influence left, but not that it was simply a mispronunciation of the existing name.

Beijing has always been Beijing as it is what Chinese call it in Mandarin.

Peking came about from the Brits. Same as Canton.

The BBC World service used Peking right up to the Beijing Olympics. I thnk they use Beijing now.