Hi, I'm new to this forum and planning a first trip to Japan. My wife and I are planning a trip in early Feb '13 for a week or so skiing.

We are confident late '50s intermediate skiers. Skied mostly in Aus and a little in Europe (Austria) - groomed runs.

We are thinking of the Shiga Kogen area or Myoko Kogen. Looking for good intermediate runs and not bothered with partying/apres. Also would like to try a little powder.

Are we looking at the right sort of area? Any suggestions welcome.

Also should we take our own skis - Volkl RTM 80s for me and Rossignol Zenith Z1W for my wife.

Yeah, SK and Myoko should give you good variation and an excellent chance at dabbling in powder. SK is huge and there's something for everyone, nothing after lifts go off, but u are ok with that. Plenty onsen to soak in after ur day on the slopes. Myoko has a small village with some options for post riding beer and the snow at both of them is usually top notch

Shiga and Myoko are both good choices. Also take a look at the Hakuba region. In Hokkaido, Rusutsu, Kiroro or Furano would seem ideal for you, while Niseko would certainly not be a bad choice. Cruise around the forums and the Snow Resorts & Places to Stay sections of the main site.

For groomers your RTM 80s would be excellent, and you can always demo a wider ski if you want to try the off-piste. Sorry, not familiar with those Rossi Zeniths.

Thanks to all for the advice. The idea of some culture shock is not a worry - I have been to some fairly out-of-the-way places over the years, it can be a bit of a buzz! Will there be ski hire in the Shiga/Myoko area?

Myoko is by far my favourite place to go when I want a relaxing time with my wife (and great snow of course!). There isn't really anything to do there after skiing is done though... Over the years it's gotten a lot more foreigner friendly and there are adequate rentals. Have fun!!

Shiga has less options than Myoko Akakura Onsen yes but does have 2 restaurants in Ichinose (The Nepalise curry house Kamakura I recall it's named - awesome tucker) and a local cafe on the same side of the street run by a Korean couple. There is also 2 Izakaya just below the footbridge. We don't take the hotel meal package as it can get boring over a week, you can usually book on the morning if you do eat in anyway. We also rocked up to the excellent buffet at The Shiga Olympic Hoteland had no problem getting in.

Around Ichinose there's a fairly large cluster of hotels and most of them have a bar that you can go drink in even if u aren't staying there, same goes for their restaurants but its not exactly a wide choice

Yamanouchi covers a wide area but in the middle of the town is kind of in the middle of lots of resorts - but you will need to travel a bit whether you go up to Shiga Kogen, or over to Ryuoo or over to Madarao etc.

Yamanouchi covers a wide area but in the middle of the town is kind of in the middle of lots of resorts - but you will need to travel a bit whether you go up to Shiga Kogen, or over to Ryuoo or over to Madarao etc.

So is the travelling easy from Yamanouchi to the ski resorts?

There are buses from Yudanaka, the onsen village at the base of the Shiga Kogen region and the terminal of the Nagano Dentetsu railway. You can ride free if you buy a full-day lift pass at the station. I've often stayed in hotels outside Nagano Station, taken the first train in the morning and bus up from Yudanaka.

It looks like we'll be staying in Yudanaka - all the snow resort websites I looked at were booked out. Made a reservation at the Shimaya ryokan and I guess we will use bus/trains to get to the snow

Are there lockers or similar where a person can store walking shoes and other gear while out on the snow - what's the usual practise?