It was still in the formation process. You found a solid bit of the lava and then rode the flow.

That was in golden week of 1980. 45-minute + lines for the beginner lift.

Offloading that lift was the most frightening thing I'd ever done!

I watched this documentary about skiing in India, in the foothills of the Himalayas. The presenters were obviously in the latest stuff and all the locals were mesemerised by what they were wearing........but then so were the presenters as most of the kids had home made skis!! They had made them from lengths of wood from barrels and had them attached to their shoes by rope. None of them had any standard gear of any kind, but they were all having a a ball.

I even think that to "waterproof" their feet, they had tied plastic bags around their shoes!

Wish I could remember the name of the documentary, I've been looking for it for ages but can't find anything remotely like it

as part of the 50year Niseko celebration last year they had some old style skiing happening on some weekends.

the whole deal. even with the pole between the legs / etc.

those dudes really seemed to know their stuff.

friend of mine was getting around on custom made powder skis at the same time, so turned a lot of heads when people thought he was nuking through 1foot deep pow on old skis

they were designed for the trip and each one looks different, because the real wood top sheet looks different

dont have a pic handy, but stole a similar image from their website to give you an idea

IMG_1981.jpg

What do u mean by "even the pole between their legs"?

were you thinking something naughty? :p

olden style skiing had no carve and no edges, and you could barely turn and so had no breaks!

you ski with this huge pole you stick it between your legs and almost sit down on it (while holding it up with arms) and it drags on the ground and acts as a break.

i think they also use it on either side to help turn too.

random google image:

mZ0bD.jpg