Hi all.Will have three weeks in Feb. 2013 to ski at Zao,Yuzawa,Nozawa and either Myoko,Shiga Kogen or Myoko Kogen. Would love to get to them all but don't want to be on the move all the time,especially as we want to throw in some "off the skis" activities and experiences.Any suggestions in that department? We will have a JR rail pass so any ideas on out of the way destinations,scenic rail trips, historic towns etc would be much appreciated..cheers..Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome, I am sure you will get plenty of good suggestions here.

I see you are getting a JR rail pass. You may have done this already but I suggest you look into a JREast pass as well. You may find it is more economical and flexible than the JR Pass for your trip

Thanks for the suggestions.Could hire a car for the odd day.. in Yamagata it would be good for the snow festival etc. My post should have read "either Hakuba,Shiga Kogen or Myoko Kogen.Just checked the JR East site snowjunky..it appears the only options are 10 straight days or 4 days flexible.Wish the passes had more options.Also the East pass doesn't seem to cover inland from Toyama.Spotted some nice towns in Shirokawago and also Takayama. Thought we could send the ski gear back to Tokyo after our last Nagano resort and have a few days exploring that area and then to Tokyo via Nagoya.If we spotted some local ski areas with perfect snow and blue skies,we could always rent some gear. Looking like we may have to add another week and pay the penalty for changing our return date..Cheers..Dave

Ah yes muikabochi..you are right about my geographical inadequacies! I had Tokamachi near Yamagata.My head is full of unfamiliar names of towns,prefectures,etc.That is half the fun though and I refuse to use a travel agent. I don't want to be over-organised or over-researched but need to have the bones in place. We can then stitch on activities found on this forum, from other travellers and the locals.

I am even reluctant to book accomodation apart from our first stop(Zao). Would I be wrong in thinking there will always be a bed available at a reasonable price at short notice? Do the main towns have tourist agencies we can call ahead to for bookings?..Cheers..Dave

It looks very photogenic snowdude - is it? I am wary that lots of the pics you see of it are taken from places that the general public don't get to...

do you think I'd like it there

It's such a beautiful spot Muika. We used to go every year until recently for a little escape and time-warpy feel. If you like soba they have some of the freshest tasting noodles out there. Great beef as well!

Blueyonder, I don't know of any specific events but if you can find a fireworks display I would highly recommend going. Love fireworks here, especially over snow covered fields or mountains.

Thanks for the suggestion Black Mountain.Wonder what the laws in Japan are regarding fireworks..nothing better than setting off your own!.

Looks like 2 rail passes will cost us close to A$1400 for 3 weeks.Considering we will go to Zao,Yuzawa,Nozawa,the Nagano area and maybe Takayama area, I wonder if it would be practical to rent a 4x4 car? I know there will be serious amounts of snow but is it a drama with road closures,high rate of accidents etc? Remember seeing a Land Cruiser in Niseko doing 360 degree spins down a hill toward our bus..hit a bank before us luckily.Would be nice to have the freedom of our own transport and to avoid lugging skis about,and being tied to timetables.Is navigating with a gps straightforward in Japan??.Cheers..Dave

Thanks for the suggestion Black Mountain.Wonder what the laws in Japan are regarding fireworks..nothing better than setting off your own!.

Looks like 2 rail passes will cost us close to A$1400 for 3 weeks.Considering we will go to Zao,Yuzawa,Nozawa,the Nagano area and maybe Takayama area, I wonder if it would be practical to rent a 4x4 car? I know there will be serious amounts of snow but is it a drama with road closures,high rate of accidents etc? Remember seeing a Land Cruiser in Niseko doing 360 degree spins down a hill toward our bus..hit a bank before us luckily.Would be nice to have the freedom of our own transport and to avoid lugging skis about,and being tied to timetables.Is navigating with a gps straightforward in Japan??.Cheers..Dave

blueyonder, I would recommend hiring a Subaru wagon with AWD, just make sure it has snow tyres. Better than a softroader, but cheaper than a 4WD. Most Nav systems have the ability to navigate by phone number, so as long as you know the number of the resort you are heading to you should have no problems. I can't give any advice/info on accidents, I don't drive in the snow enough to have seen any. I'm sure those on here who live in snowier places can comment with more accurate ideas than I can.