....Because I want to buy a plot of land in Chippubetsu, Hokkaido. That's right .... they are selling plots at 1 yen per square meter. There are conditions of course but it's a nice little town. It's right between Rumoi and Asahikawa and only about 20 minutes to Kamui Ski Links. I lived in Rumoi for three years and it's my wife's hometown. We go there every winter.....Oh....my gears are turning...

TOKYO —

It may not be the most bustling of towns, but for those of you in the market for real estate, have we got a good deal for you.

Your own plot of land from just one yen per square meter. Yup, one yen.

Bizarrely, there’s no catch. No “but it’s infested with rabid ferrets” or “but you must spend the night in a haunted house with Rosie O’Donnell!” punchline. The town of Chippubetsu in Hokkaido is genuinely offering habitable land for the incredible price of one single yen. And, as a result, it is receiving an unprecedented amount of attention from both the media and Internet users. Someone in Chippubetsu is getting a lot of pats on the back for coming up with this initiative, we’re sure.

The town, whose official population is listed as just 2,692 people (1,284 males to 1,408 females), has already received eight applications – including three households who, thanks to the scheme, are able to move out of municipal housing – claiming 12 of the 460-square-meter plots, but many more are still up for grabs.

Holiday, or second homes in Hokkaido are extremely popular, with many Japanese, particularly the retired and wealthy, spending the hotter months of the year up north in more temperate climes. Naturally, during Hokkaido’s long, snowy winters, many people return south to escape the cold, but, thanks to its abundant ski and snowboarding locations, Hokkaido sees a fair amount of tourism.

But were the Internet masses tempted by Chippubetsu’s rock-bottom land prices? Even at one yen, is the town too far out in the wilds for comfort? As you might expect, it’s something of a mixed bag.

“Living somewhere that cold on a budget would be tough,” chirped one bargain hunter.

“I might buy a plot and live in a tent beside a roaring campfire!” tweeted an excited outdoorsman, before another user doused the flames with the slightly pessimistic but well-founded theory “And then you’d be bear food.”

But it isn’t all doom, gloom and satire on the forums.

One adventurer, at least, was incredibly keen about the bargain plots, commenting: “This looks like fun. I was planning on moving to Brazil, but this could actually be quite a fun challenge,” while others simply couldn’t believe that land could possibly be sold at such a miniscule price, exclaiming: “This is incredible. At first I thought it was just a joke, but, checking out Chippubetsu’s homepage, I see that it’s for real.”

Our own interest piqued, we took a peek at Chippubetsu’s homepage for ourselves. And we have to admit, we’re kind of taken with the little town.

Hot spring resorts; athletics grounds; a public rose garden; fresh, naturally-grown produce; a “gate-ball” (croquet) course; an animal farm called “Baa-baa Land.” You know, life might not be all that bad up in Chippubetsu, so long as we can get some high-speed Internet and the occasional decent coffee.

Sounds great to me, without knowing what the catches that don't exist are. ;)

I'm not sure if it was there, but I did see something like that on the news a few weeks ago. Perhaps another place. I'm surprised there are any left if it is getting so much attention.

Back to Canada was a first choice for my wife but a close second was going back to Hokkaido. And this is in her neighborhood....I used to drive through Chippubetsu at least 2 or 3 times a week on my way to Asahikawa and always liked that little town.

I think I've told it before Mamabear but here goes...

My wife's family owns a hotel and many other rental properties here and there through out Japan. One building they own in Rumoi (Hokkaido) has a big izakaya on the second floor and on the first floor is a Yakitori/bar. In those days there were a lot of Russians in and around town and they aren't the cream of the crop of Russian high society to say the least and the locals have quite a bit trouble with them. A lot of places don't want their patronage.

Well, The day before my wife and I were to be married she got together with some friends and were hanging out in the Yakitori joint. I was busy doing something and was meeting up with them there a bit later. When I came to the restaurant and opened the door the owner was there to sternly announce that no gaijin were allowed in the establishment. I said my wife was in there but he was just getting pissed off that I wouldn't go away.

My wife finally clued in that it was me at the entrance making the scene and came over and announced that ...."um.....as of tomorrow...this person (me) technically owns this building" and kindly asked the owner of the shop if he could let the owner of the building in.....

Man, that dude was embarrassed. But, I did understand his feelings as after three years in Rumoi I had come to really dislike the Russians and hated the fact that some locals (and Russians alike) mistook me for one.

But, I did understand his feelings as after three years in Rumoi I had come to really dislike the Russians and hated the fact that some locals (and Russians alike) mistook me for one.

I suppose that goes to show that some peoples prejudices are justified in their minds and should not be dismissed as being foolish without knowing the full story.

The guy closed up shop this year but we had a good chuckle every time we'd see each other. Yes, Snowbender ...he had a good point. I don't think it was anything mean spirited just trying to avoid trouble. Actually, I think I had more spite in my feelings towards Russians....given the long standing volatile relations between the two super (hockey) powers.........Russia and Canada. :wave:

:lol:

Or perhaps you just pay extra for the chips.

Like you do for rice at an Indian. Silly but the way it is.

Chriselle, the place isn't really actually in Fukushima and they are pretending to be in Hokkaido?

Awesome story!

Yeah, I suppose that prejudical assumptions born out previous bad experiences are totally understandable.

Doesn't make them right - as your apologetic business owner found out ;)

But we are all a little guilty from time to time.

PB has been recipient of the NO GAIJIN treatment. Thankfully, not something I have experienced.

I got a "gaijin dakara" ....the other day. I was ready to pounce on the guy but my wife beat me to it. She and some other lady we don't even know let this dude have it. I just laughed...while pointing at the guy shaking my head...