• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right click and save this image to your computer.

Then upload as your avatar.

20pscye.jpg

The problem with the original is there's no space on the sides. Hence you decapitating yourself!

That was fun. Bit exhausted riding to shinjuku, and feel my age a bit (not least because i forgot to pack my laptop so had to bring that too). But turns out that cycling is fun. Its particularly fun when you know you dont have to cycle back though :)

definite chaffing but surprisingly alright. Gonna invest in those pants though if im riding the full hama trail. 7,000 yen or mad discomfort? Ill pay the cash thanks.

definite chaffing but surprisingly alright. Gonna invest in those pants though if im riding the full hama trail. 7,000 yen or mad discomfort? Ill pay the cash thanks.

Thanks for reminding me, I should really get some of those.

bike is just an alright mountain bike. Its not a decent one. I picked it up at a recycle shop for 13,000yen :) But i like it so didnt want to get rid of it.

As for the pants no idea, cycling pants?

Update;

Day 1: Shinjuku to Hiratsuka. Pretty dull ride to be honest. Then again i did do it pretty much down one massive road (265 i think).

Kipped on the beach at hiratsuka and discovered that waves are fekkin noisy. got about 4 hours broken sleep what with the insane humidity and hoodlums setting off fireworks.

Day 2: Hiratsuka to numazu (curently in a netcafe, but i think ill push to fuji since ive still got a few hours of daylight).

A few things on this: route 1 is a bastard to cycle. Got to the town of hakone, thought, well that wasnt so bad... wheres the lake then? Ha! 15 km of uphill later in the PISSING rain... :)

Got to the lake, took a couple of pictures (of a boat - no fuji obviously), and barelled my way back down the mountain. Absolutely drowned, but the rest of it is pretty much the coast so should be flat :)

All going okay so far, could do with an actual shower though.

My ass is like a spacehopper, but it feels pretty boney on that bike seat these days whether i have my cycle pants on or not. :(

Anyways, update 3: Hamamatsu!

Figured id stop at fuji, but for some reason decided instead to take my chances with route 1. About 20km to Shizuoka realised id made a terrible mistake. My left knee started whimpering. By the time i hit s-pulse shimizu (about 10km later) it was in agony. Limped into shizuoka and found a ropey net cafe where i passed out until around 10 the next day.

Woke up, gammy knee, sore arse, tired back and figured i couldnt be arsed hanging around for another day, so decided instead to push straight for hamamatsu. Rather uneventful ride. Busted knee all the way, a nice solid hill climb somewhere outside kakegawa that troubled me much less than i thought it would, a sojurn across the tenryu, the first sighting of act tower and there i was. Hamamatsu. The end. :)

Gonna give my little knee a few days rest (it just feels bruised and battered a bit is all), and then decide on sunday whether to push for nagoya. I probably will though. 100km seems pretty doable/day. Im trying to remember whats in store for me on the road to nagano though, and just how much hill climbing there is before i make a decision.

Knee still twinges after 20 minutes or so on the bike. Probably comes back in full force after an hour or so. Though i learned i should be using high mellow rotation instead of low gear grinding for it... ill try that tomorrow.

Off to nagoya. Probs skip kani now that i realise i have a deadline for the morning of the 17th at chikuma.

So ill push up as high as i can bear, and maybe settle in an out of town internet cafe (prays for one!) in prep for phase 3 on tuesday.

Kuronekko = 14,000yen to send a bike.

Train = need a bag to carry it (7000 yen).

Neither option appeals all that much to me to be honest... So unless the knee is giving me insane grief, there will be a phase 3.

Nagano. Which is going to suck ass i should imagine. Straight climb from ena (30km out), to kiso fukushima (120km) with a few gnarly spikes around some place called agematsu.

Honestly, even at peak with no 35liter rucksack on my back id accept this was beyond my abilities... i just have to think of the 50km steady downhill/flat after kiso fukushima. And when you break the climbs down, theres never one longer than 600meters (over a considerable distance - about 40km), so its not sooo hard i guess, just incessant? :)

Ah well, even if ive only used the tent the once, at least ill be getting some use out of everything else. :)