Always a day I dislike today the annual tax stuff came.

The last few years it seemed to get more and more expensive - while my income didn't rise as fast - but this year just a slight increase here.

Still a ton of cash I have to hand over.

Why can't they send it out on a Monday, not a Friday!

:doh:

Is this the city tax? I know we all have to pay tax, etc, but I'd like to know what the hell I'm paying for and how my bill's calculated, as all the bumpff is in Japanese!! My fault for not understanding the lingo I know but bloody frustrating nonetheless! :angry:

I don't particularly like it either, but considering it's less than half of what I paid in Canada I won't complain too much :)

I reckon we would pay much much more in the UK, at least double.

I don't particularly like it either, but considering it's less than half of what I paid in Canada I won't complain too much :)

I reckon we would pay much much more in the UK, at least double.

The last time I paid taxes in Canada it was 26% of my income (and I was in the second lowest tax bracket). Here, for the same salary, it is roughly 10%. Also, in Ontario the harmonized sales tax (new tax structure) is now between 13-30% depending on what you are buying. In Japan it's only 5%. It sucks paying taxes but we really don't pay all that much here.

My city tax has actually went down this year, even although my salary last year was the same as the previous year. My mrs reckons its cos I fiddled :shifty: .... done my income tax myself this year. I managed to claim a lot of tax back and was very happy with the low amount of income tax I had to pay. This year I'm aiming for even less. :D

25% tax is still pretty damned low. Plenty of us can only dream of such a low tax rate. I guess it's one of the reasons that Japan is so far in debt. They just aren't collecting enough tax.

Tubby

Its a pain to do it, but you get bigger tax free allowances if you file with the blue form. See if you can get your missus to do it for you. The local chamber of commerce (shoukoukai) may offer help on how to fill it in. They do round here. When I started off freelance and was single, I just went to the tax office with a basic excel printout and a few envelopes full of receipts and did the white form. I thought I was doing well, but in hindsight I was actually paying much more tax than an organised person would have.

GN

That's it in a nutshell really.

The main one to push through is the consumption tax because everyone pays that one, cash in hand folks, farmers, the self employed, rich old folks, etc. etc. Even at 5%, the consumption tax collects as much revenue as the income tax. At 5% you cannot have a welfare state in an ageing society. You just can't afford it.

Conversely the corporation tax should be slashed from 42% to a level where running a company ceases to be an exercise in avoiding profit. I think its definitely a case where a tax rate cut would increase revenue, not decrease it.

• 4 weeks later...

Have just paid nearly 40K (Yen, not $, £, Shekels or camels) on city tax and medical insurance! Could have bought (and was planning to buy) a new snowboard with that!! :angry: