hello,

I rented a few new boards recently to see what other boards were like. For the most they were the same shape as mine, perhaps a little wider. From my uneducated/inexperienced position, the big difference seemed to be the flex. They all seemed to flex the same when you bent them in the shop but riding them was different. I dont remember the actual model names, but they were the latest freeride boards:

Rossignol - the best of the three I tried. Seemed really 'alive'. I much preferred this board to my board, although they look almost the same in shape.

Head - really stiff and you had to work hard to get it feeling like the rossignol. It was also a few cm's longer than I am used to. Probably a better board if you know how to ride it. With my stiff boots and bindings it all felt too stiff as a package. I must admit though that myt legs were shot at this stage after 14 days of riding (I got shin splints from riding?!).

Salomon - a little like the Head, although I didn't like it much on the hard shopped up bumpy run I tried. I did like it on the steep run, it felt very 'together'.

There you go, a completely useless bit of info, not even a review. It was fun to try out some different boards though. However carrying 4 boards up in the gondola was a challenge. I would do a run and then change boards to compare. With the Rossignol and my board I even rode half a run with one board under my arm, left it there (locked to tree branch) and then did this run a few times changing boards half way down. Stopping mid run and changing boards was really revealing.

Salomon boards seemed very popular where I was. also seemed very expensive.

The sales guy I spoke to was partial to telling me that a certain board was really good in powder and also in the pipe. Seems like 2 very different uses to me, so I was a bit confused. I told him I would never touch a pipe*, but he didn't seem to listen.

* pipes: by god I saw a big pipe! Well, it seemed big to me. You could have parked 3 buses end to end in it and not been able to see them. I watched for a while but didn't give it a go, a little to much 'yo skater' vibe around the thing for me. It appears one has to dress accordingly for the pipe. There was even some guy in a tank top, at -5C!

> The sales guy I spoke to was partial to telling me that a certain board was really good in powder and also in the pipe.

If you pick up a shop catalog that covers a range of maker's boards, you'll be amazed to learn that all the boards are remarkably good at handling a range of terrains and conditions - they'll manage the whole mountain, including the powder and the park. Makes you wonder if there are any dedicated boards out there after all ;\) .

One of my mates rides a Rossignal board and says more good things about it than most other people say about theirs.

Jeremy Jones rides a Rossi board. 161, stiff and a soft tail for deep pow. Mellow graphics - mountain range on the top, American Indian on the bottom.

I think you can demo boards for free at Yanaba, or at least you could until last year. They're all freestyle boards though. Expect limited choice over 160.

Anybody know any other resorts where you can demo boards?

Just for you db here it is

promodel-jeremy_162-front.gif promodel-jeremy_162-sole.gif

That looks like an American Indian to me, though I may be wrong. Either way, it's a lovely looking board.

If you want bad-@ss punk graphics on big mountain boards, I recommend K2's "Seth Pistol" skis. They've got a mad "Never Mind the Bollocks" design with studs in the tips and tails. Hilarious! They must be one of the fattest skis on the market.

theski_top_base.gif

Mature boarder vs. mad punk skier.

Bit of role reversal there methinks.

db, mine's an Airwalk Champ. It's alright, although I wouldn't say it felt 'alive'. Next time I'll be looking for something with more pop.

Most board designs just look so 'heavy metal' to me. I wouldn't want any of that crap around my house. The best looking boards are the solid colours or natural patterns.

Yet another pitch for Flow!

Ocean, have you checked out the new Flow baords? They don't seem to claim to cover a range of riding styles as other companies do. They are releasign a decent amount of models too. There website as a good deal of info on each board. Might be worth checking out if you want a board for a specific style/condition. I like the look of the "Focus" board.

now im riding a 156cm Ride board (15,000yen) down from a monstrous 167cm Burton and it makes jibbing seem at least feasible. id like to ride something flashy, but if your gonna hit rails it seems pointless. i would, of course, retire all freestyle aspirations and re-fire up the long plank if regular access to powder should descend upon me.

do others actually spend 50,000yen or more on a board and then try to kill them on rails??

oh, well i guess that means my board will be perfect for learning... i know when i do damage and have hit some sharp rails, and i must admit that my board is standing up against rails better than the rocks off piste in NZ (no offence to the kiwis).

but it still seems like a job for a second board.. i cant imagine unpacking a decent new board and heading straight for the rails, and i do like to imagine unpacking a decent new board \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by NoFakie:
If you want bad-@ss punk graphics on big mountain boards, I recommend K2's "Seth Pistol" skis. They've got a mad "Never Mind the Bollocks" design with studs in the tips and tails. Hilarious! They must be one of the fattest skis on the market.
Actually those "studs" are more than just a design feature. They are actually rivets that are there to stop delamination which is a common problem on twin tips skis. K2 had a big problem with this a while back.

As for fat, yes they are damn fat and I WANNA PAIR!!!

it seems strange to me when people buy boards for their crazy graphics when usually they get covered by the bindings. FORUM are great at doing that. My NeverSummer is basically black with a purple/white silluetted polor bear crushing an igloo between the bindings. You dont notice it when everything else is so dark and the snow is white.

the dude I shared my pension room with at the hirafu chalet in niseko was on those K2 pistols....damn, they are FAT PHAT FAT! and sexy too...he would just fly in the pow...i was jealous...

good stuff...

danz